Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex has a different Fico 8 Score

tag
DLynn1920
Established Member

Re: Amex has a different Fico 8 Score

for me, Amex has an Experian Fico 8 Score of 655 for July 2022.  The Experian app has 667 for July 2022.

What is causing such a difference? 

VantageScore 3.0 in July 2021:

FICO 8 scores as of Sept 14, 2022:

Goal Cards:

Message 11 of 29
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@DLynn1920 wrote:

for me, Amex has an Experian Fico 8 Score of 655 for July 2022.  The Experian app has 667 for July 2022.

The Experian app updates your EX score daily, Amex updates your EX score monthly. It'll say the date of the pull as you can see on my picture. Compare that date to the date of the 667 score on the Experian app. I bet you they're different dates.

To add pictures, above the reply box there's a camera icon you can click on and it'll let you choose between taking a picture with your phone camera, or choose from an existing picture in your files (if on mobile).

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 29
DLynn1920
Established Member

@OmarGB9 wrote:

To add pictures, above the reply box there's a camera icon you can click on and it'll let you choose between taking a picture with your phone camera, or choose from an existing picture in your files (if on mobile).

I don't see a camera option on my phone or my desktop. Maybe because I'm still a new member. Thank you for your help. 

Goal Cards:

Message 13 of 29
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@DLynn1920 wrote:

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I don't see a camera option on my phone or my desktop. Maybe because I'm still a new member. Thank you for your help. 

Yes I believe you need to be the rank of "Member" before you can upload images.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 14 of 29
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

AMEX's free credit score is Vantage on their website. Not FICO. Apps are pulled from FICO yes. Theres your difference.

They have both Vantage and FICO scores on the website.

To access FICO score:

Account Services > Profile > View FICO Score

@SouthJamaica @OmarGB9 Oh lets bury it way inside the settings instead of a link on the home page like it is for the Vantage score. Makes sense. Nuts. Thanks. #SMH#

Message 15 of 29
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

I went through a very similiar thing when I tried to get an increase a few years ago.  I was approved for my 1st Amex card, the Blue Cash Preferred in April 2020 with a Fico 8 Experian score of 720. After reading about being able to get a limit increase 3x your current limit at 61 days, at around 80 days I decided to request the increase.

At the time I requested the increase my Experian Fico 8 score was 735, even higher than when I was first approved. However I was denied my limit increase with the denial reason, "Your Fico score is too low". I was shocked because it was higher than my approved Fico score. I went on the Amex site and checked my Fico 8 score there and it was 707. It was then that I realized 1) Amex uses the Fico score on their site for soft pulls and 2) the score on their site can be 1 to 2 months old depending on when a request is made.

See a month and a half earlier, due to some new cards I added, my score had dipped slightly from 720 down to 707. At the time of my limit increase request the score had already bounced back higher because I had paid off some credit card balances, lowering my utilization across all my cards by a lot. The score on the Amex site wasn't reflecting these updates yet. Now whenever I want to apply for anything on Amex I check their site first to see what score they show. I waited 91 days and asked again and was approved for the limit increase. Best wishes to you when you ask again! 

Message 16 of 29
DLynn1920
Established Member

@Jordan23ww wrote:

I went through a very similiar thing when I tried to get an increase a few years ago... I went on the Amex site and checked my Fico 8 score there and it was 707. It was then that I realized 1) Amex uses the Fico score on their site for soft pulls and 2) the score on their site can be 1 to 2 months old depending on when a request is made...Now whenever I want to apply for anything on Amex I check their site first to see what score they show. I waited 91 days and asked again and was approved for the limit increase. Best wishes to you when you ask again! 

This was an incredibly helpful account and I appreciate you sharing it. Now I know to how to proceed when trying to grow my accounts with Amex. Thank you  

Goal Cards:

Message 17 of 29
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@DLynn1920 wrote:

There's no such thing as a July score. It's for a specific single date in July. And it's unlikely Amex even has any July score on the site.

Experian.com updates daily and is therefore more accurate.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 18 of 29
DLynn1920
Established Member

unnamed.png

@SouthJamaica This is what I see in my Amex app. It has the date July 5th.  The other score is my Experian score (only bumped up 2 pts in a month) from the Experian app.  

Goal Cards:

Message 19 of 29
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

What date is showing on the EX app?

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.