cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annualcreditreport.com asks completely inaccurate verification questions, can't verify my identity.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Annualcreditreport.com asks completely inaccurate verification questions, can't verify my identity.

(This is my first post here!  ... If this topic has been related elsewhere, I'd like to read of others' experiences. Perhaps it is a common issue.)

... After many years of being someone who does NOT use credit, I started to consider taking an interest in playing the game of raising this all-important "credit score" a few years ago, anticipating my one day perhaps wanting to buy something of substance, such as a home.

So, at annualcreditreport.com, I attempted to answer their identity verification questions.  To all of the handful of questions they ask, I had to honestly answer, "None of the Above." 

They were such as "It appears you obtained a mortgage in August of 2014. Which bank did you get the mortgage with?  A. Bank of America, B. Wells Fargo. ...  .. D. None of the Above" 

"It appears you opened a retail charge account in February of 2016. Which store was this with? ...."

...Since I had done NONE of the actions asked in the questions, I answered None of the Above.  I was then told I was unable to obtain my score in this simple way, and was directed to download a form and follow instructions.

I first tried to get the scores a few years ago.  ...At that point, I didn't want to bother to pursue such a rigamarole.  I wondered if my identity had been compromised. ...What else would it lead one to believe?  

A year or so after that, I tried again and got essentially the same questions, to which I again answered, "None of the above."  ...Sigh. 

After being instructed to download the initial request form and send in copies of documents ( I sent my driver's license, SS card, and recent utility),  I then got responses from all three CRAs.  Two of them, despite getting the initial request, wanted more documents; one of them apparently unable to be bothered that I'd already sent in the same documents to the initial entity that they were now requesting again.  I went back and for with these idiots for a few months before I finally had my credit reports from all three.  ...And all three of the accounts show, accurately, no activity. 

...I am wondering if it might be because I had NO credit history. They essentially have NO credit actions I could verify in the positive to have occurred for them to use as identity verifiers. 

I really would rather not go through that every year, in order to get the reports I am entitled to. 

(And yes, they have misspelled my last name when they sent my reports, which I just read in one of the advice stickies here is something intentional?)  Cripes, how can people be expected to respect these mysterious behemoths that are given so much power to decide our fate?   Ugh. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Annualcreditreport.com asks completely inaccurate verification questions, can't verify my identi

I have had this happen a couple of times on a couple different sites.

Possibly bad information on your credit reports?

I had an address show up on one of mine that I have never lived at or known anyone who lived at.  When I disputed it, the CRA didn't delete the address, only put my "note" on it.  Pretty crappy imo.

Good luck, I have not figured out how to get past this one either.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Annualcreditreport.com asks completely inaccurate verification questions, can't verify my identi

Request your Lexis-Nexis personal reports.  It's all on there.

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.com/access_your_full_file_disclosure.jsp

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the replies.

...The three reports I eventually received showed NO activity, which was accurate for me at the time (several months ago), so I have no idea where they came up with those questions. ..I have recently begun trying to build a credit profile.  We'll see what they come up with next time.   ...I had thought they possibly threw in a few trick questions as part of the deal, but this was ALL the questions.

..Thanks for the Lexis Nexis Info. I have bookmarked for consideration.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

A similar thing happened to me with my Nordstrom card recently.  They could not verify my identity with my public record even though the account has been opened for almost four months.  Any, I was advised by another poster here about Lexis Nexis and Innovis (I think).  I requested my record from Lexis Nexis already, but not Innovis yet.  I'm planning to do it soon.  

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuild IS a PITA indeed! LOL.  I was actually meaning to include the term "PITA" in my complaint about this whole business.

Please let us know about any new info you glean from the Lexis Nexis report.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar problem several years ago obtaining my EQ report. I found out later that an old car loan was listed under two completely different names with EQ having the oddball I'd never heard of. Apparently the company had reported to EQ only for several years before entering into a joint venture. The "new" composite company started reporting to Exp and TU under the new name but kept reporting status quo to EQ.

Possible something like this has snagged you a bit.
Message 7 of 9
Kree
Established Contributor

Because I was an authorized user on my fathers card for a while, before I had sufficient data of my own, the CRAs would use some of his information to verify, which included information from his second wife, because they were tied together through marriage.  Which address belongs to Father's EXwife?   No idea CRA I literally have no idea.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The first time I tried to pull my 3 credit reports, Experian asked me "In what decade was the house you're currently living in built?" as a security question.  I was still living with my parents at the time and only knew we moved there when I was 5 and bought it from an old lady that may or may not have been the original owner.  I guessed the 70's and it turned out to be the 60's so I was blocked from receiving my Experian report.  The next year I was still blocked and had to mail in information to verify my ID.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.