cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody try nerdwallet's pre-qualification? (Reliable??)

tag
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

Anybody try nerdwallet's pre-qualification? (Reliable??)

So I used their prequal tool. Apparently they link you with lenders, you have to give ssn and everything. It came back with some chase cards including the flex card which is my goal card. It even gave me a solid APR instead of a range. I won't be within 5/24 until October and when I use the chase prequal tool I get nothing so I'm super skeptical. Anyone applied through this before with reliability?

Current 2023 FICO 8 score - 760 (EX) 758 (TU) 762 (EQ) (FICO 9s seem to be significantly higher)
Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
Citi Custom Cash - $6,600
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
Chase slate (AU) - $3,000
Chase Freedom Flex - $11,100
Lowes Advantage card - $10,000
PNC poop points- $4,500
2 student loans 93% paid off
AMEX loan only 7% paid off so far
Total current Utilization among all accounts- 20%

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Anybody try nerdwallet's pre-qualification? (Reliable??)

I've never applied through them but I would treat Nerdwallet the same as CK, Wallet Hub etc. 

Mostly advertising, they make money from the suggestions they give you.

Doesn't mean you wouldn't be approved but I would stick to the actual lenders prequal site.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Egaffne2 wrote:

So I used their prequal tool. Apparently they link you with lenders, you have to give ssn and everything. It came back with some chase cards including the flex card which is my goal card. It even gave me a solid APR instead of a range. I won't be within 5/24 until October and when I use the chase prequal tool I get nothing so I'm super skeptical. Anyone applied through this before with reliability?

@Egaffne2 The only places I'd rely on for pre-approvals are the lenders' own websites and cardmatch .com.  And just like the other third-party referral sites that were already mentioned; CardMatch gets paid for referring applicants to lenders.  But since they work in conjuction with the lenders the pre-approvals are reliable.

Message 3 of 8
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

Yes but credit karma and wallethub don't have anything like this. Go check it out and you'll see what I mean. You fill out a form, give your ssn and info. Then you have to consent nerdwallet to link you with lender websites for pre-qualification. There was even a solid APR. So I'm just curious. It's not like a card recommendation or approval odds, obviously that stuff is meaningless.

Current 2023 FICO 8 score - 760 (EX) 758 (TU) 762 (EQ) (FICO 9s seem to be significantly higher)
Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
PNC poop points- $4,500

Message 4 of 8
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

I never tried cardmatch. I just gave it a shot. It seems exactly like nerwallets pre-qualification. You fill out the form and they link you with lenders pre-qualification sites so u don't have to go to each one individually. You guys should try it, google "nerdwallet pre-qualification". Let me know what u think.

Edit- I just double checked and now it looks like they are only linking you with chase. They used to link u with a bunch of banks prequal pages like amex, cap 1

Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
PNC poop points- $4,500

Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Personally I wouldnt trust any of those sites. Even major banks have pre-quals and then say your good to go and then your denied once you apply. Happens a lot. Best way is research on here what card you want and fits your file. Then pull the trigger. Every card below I spent a min of a week before I applied. But nothing is 100% in the credit world. Good luck on whoever you apply with.

Message 6 of 8
Egaffne2
Regular Contributor

I agree with you, no prequal is 100 percent but there is definitely a benefit to being pre-qualified going into an application. The reason why this nerdwallet prequal intrigues me so much is because it looks super reliable. After I got my offers I clicked the card I liked which was the flex card, it then took me to chases website and it didn't just take me to an application it took me to an offers page where chase outlined the offer details. The kicker was it even gave me an exact apr instead of a range. So forget nerwallet, they are just the middle man, it's chase presenting me with the offer and the exact APR on their website. So If anyone wants to try this is the link.  https://www.nerdwallet.com/prequalify/credit-cards.   The only thing that bothers me is I won't be under 5/24 until October so my best judgment says to just wait 2 months until I am. I opened 3 cards on exactly October 4, 2019, that's when the 3 inquiries are dated. So I guess I have to wait until October 5th to apply???? Correct? Or should I wait until November?

Starting score - 530
Discover it - $4,200
CFNA Firestone - $3,200
Amex BCE - $2,500
Mission Lane - $1,100
PNC poop points- $4,500

Message 7 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Wait until November to avoid an auto 5/24 denial, due to how Experian reports tradeline opening dates.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.