cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get Amex HP twice for initial app?

tag
SPChaser
Established Contributor

Anyone get Amex HP twice for initial app?

Not sure why I didn't realize this back in April of last year, but after I was approved for the Aspire where they pulled EX, Amex then did another EX HP the following day. Has anyone experience this before, and not that it's that much of a big deal, rather than annoyance, could I dispute for removal? 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Anyone get Amex HP twice for initial app?

The closest I've had to this type of senario was BoA pulling from Experian for my truck loan with an instant approval and then hard pulling it a 2nd time the next day.   They did on their own initiative later withdraw the 2nd HP without my taking any action.

You shouldn't dispute this with Experian as AMEX could easily argue that they had permissible purpose to make the 2nd hard pull, but you could contact American Express and request that they withdraw the 2nd one.   I'm not sure though that after 14 months it would be worth the effort.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 19
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@coldfusion thanks for the feedback. I'll probably let sleeping dogs lie and put it out of my mind. 

Message 3 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Haven't had this happen with Amex, though it did happen to me with RBFCU. I tried talking to them about it, but it didn't go anywhere, so I left it alone. Not sure why/how this happens, or if it's allowed. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 19
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@OmarGB9 exactly! I was just reviewing credit report for inquires, and I did a double take - what in the world happened there. 

Message 5 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@SPChaser wrote:

@OmarGB9 exactly! I was just reviewing credit report for inquires, and I did a double take - what in the world happened there. 

HPChaser maybe?😆

Message 6 of 19
SPChaser
Established Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@SPChaser wrote:

HPChaser maybe?😆

Smiley LOL Smiley LOLSmiley Very Happy totally!

Message 7 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@coldfusion wrote:

The closest I've had to this type of senario was BoA pulling from Experian for my truck loan with an instant approval and then hard pulling it a 2nd time the next day.   They did on their own initiative later withdraw the 2nd HP without my taking any action.

You shouldn't dispute this with Experian as AMEX could easily argue that they had permissible purpose to make the 2nd hard pull, but you could contact American Express and request that they withdraw the 2nd one.   I'm not sure though that after 14 months it would be worth the effort.

+1

Since it's been over a year it's no longer impacting FICO, and in (roughly) eight months it'll drop off organically. 

I would let sleeping dogs lie if it were me.

Message 8 of 19
DAC213
Valued Member

If you have a history with AMEX, from my experience I have not yet received a hard pull on other cards I have applied for .

Message 9 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@DAC213 wrote:

If you have a history with AMEX, from my experience I have not yet received a hard pull on other cards I have applied for .

*Usually* it's only an SP on subsequent new apps for existing cardholders, but it's not guaranteed. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.