Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone members at both NFCU and USAA?

tag
TilltedBrim
Regular Contributor

Anyone members at both NFCU and USAA?

Is there anyone that are members of both NFCU and USAA credit unions?  And if so why did you chosse to do so and what are some of the benefits?  I'm asking because I'm considering doing the same.  Thanks in advance

After falling off the wagon while in the garden... And going 2 for 4 on a drapping spree I've finally received my coveted Discover More. And now I'll limp back to the garden.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone members at both NFCU and USAA?

I have both in fact I have NFCU, USAA and PENFED! 

I've had NFCU for a while but I started using USAA for insurance then when I seen the PenFed 5% Platinum cash back card I had to have it!

Message 2 of 7
compassion101
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have both in fact I have NFCU, USAA and PENFED! 

I've had NFCU for a while but I started using USAA for insurance then when I seen the PenFed 5% Platinum cash back card I had to have it!

What are the requirements to be a member of those credit unions?

Message 3 of 7
cardslayer
Regular Contributor

I also have all 3, NFCU, USAA, and PenFed.

NFCU - They are great! Were always generous with CL's and loan standards, however their website is a little lacking IMO. Also, they don't have "tiers" like USAA.

Requirements - Either an "in" with existing member (could literally be anyone, same address helps but not sure if that's required), or military, or employee of military affiliated organization (my case) 

USAA - Wanted the Credit Reporting product, and started poking around and kind of like them so far. Haven't requested any lines, as I don't need any, but I am not military so my lending options with them are limited. I just have the Credit Monitoring, checking and savings accounts. 

Requirements - NONE (for limited products), Military (for all products, lowest rates, easiest qualifications)

PenFed - Not sure why I app'd exactly, but they seem to have competing loan rates with Navy from time to time. And, lately, they've got that 1.99% auto loan. so, really got PenFed to just keep my options open. Only have 1 savings account for now.

Requirements - NONE 

Message 4 of 7
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

I love NFCU for the credit products and their ease of increasing lines. I started with a 6K credit card (or thereabouts) when no one else would go over $1000. A couple years later and i have $23K on the CC and a $15K LOC with Navcheck. I also use them as my primary checking and savings. I am fortunate to have a branch office within blocks of my home.

I use USAA for their insurance products. Best prices in the business for me. I have home, auto and umbrella with them. They are also my mortgage holder. Although my experience with them was somewhat frustrating and i would hesitate to recommend them as a first choice. The positive is that they do not sell the mortgage but keep it within my accounts. They do have an outside servicer but no problems since the loan was finalized. I have a CC with them for $16K and get true preapproved offers for products (auto loan / another credit card) on a semi-regular basis.

In my opinion if you are eligible for membership in NFCU and full membership in USAA it is absolutely a no-brainer.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have USAA and NFCU , Both are awesome ! NFCU Gave me a 6000 CL on my first app with them !! I use USAA for insurance . 

Message 6 of 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

I use both.

I have USAA insurance and also prefer to bank with USAA because of the features and usability of the USAA website.  It is far better than any bank web interface that I have ever seen.

I use NFCU for their credit cards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.