Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone used a rent reporting service?

tag
HorseTears
New Contributor

Anyone used a rent reporting service?

I'm looking for first-hand feedback from anyone who has used a rent reporting service.  I have a flawless rental history, including two years with my current landlord.  I was just logging into my NerdWallet account and got an offer for a free rental reporting from LevelCredit.  They apparently, with my authorization, take care of verifying my lease details and then reporting them to T.U. and Equifax.  Before I give this a shot, I was hoping to hear feedback from anyone who has used this particular service or another one.  Note, I am not talking about services through which you pay your rent and then which report your payments to the bureaus.  My landlord already has an internal auto-payment system for 100+ renters, so they're not going to change that system just for me.

Thanks

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Anyone used a rent reporting service?

Either way for anyone to report your rent payments. They'll have to know you paid your the landlord. Experian Boost doesnt do rent. So thats out. I checked online and couldnt find a way that doesnt include a company to do so without bothering your landlord. I didn't want your question go unanswered.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

FICO 9 includes rent payments if reported, per what I've read. I don't know specifics of how its reported, but I believe it'll just affect version 9.
Message 3 of 12
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Rent would affect your scores in ways that all accounts do. It would affect AAoA and number of accounts with balances. Also, it could be your oldest or youngest account.

The main reason to report rent would be to bolster a file with either nothing or next to nothing in it.  If you have an account or two on your report, I wouldn't bother.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our rental agency reported our monthly payments only to EX.  It gets mixed reviews depending on where you reside but in our neck of the woods, it looks good for when you want to get a mortgage and have proof of back up history of rental payments. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Rental Kharma and it reports to TU. I don't mind paying $40/yr for it to report good history.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My landlord offers it for free. They even promiseto only report good payments, and never report anything bad.
I dont buy it because there must be a catch.

Message 7 of 12
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

I used Rental Kharma for two years. They'd call the landlord if they didn't respond to the email that inquiry. The positive tl is still on my report.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 8 of 12
Dmessina666
Frequent Contributor

I very briefly used Rent Reporters, and cancelled almost immediately.  I had 4 years about to be reported with two landlords, at the sign-up price of $95, Plus an extra $50 per additional landlord.  What they neglected to inform me was that although the rent is reported to EQ and TU, Rent that is reported only goes into calculations for Fico 9.  Fico 9 is a couple years old, but it is not used by many lenders at all right now.  Most lenders, wether its mortgage, Auto, or revolving accounts, mostly still use Fico 8 and older models, depending on what you are applying for.

It sounded good, and it will bring your score up a few points, but until lenders start using FIco 9 as their main formula, I will not be doing it as it won't be helping me in the here and now.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah that was one of the specific things added in the version 9, as I was mentioning above. Not gonna help you anywhere else, IMHO.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.