cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are personal contracts like gym contracts still allowed to be reported? Didn't the law change?

tag
Bees18
Frequent Contributor

Are personal contracts like gym contracts still allowed to be reported? Didn't the law change?

I thought I remember in April of last year, that tax liens and contracts such as gyms and libraries ect could no longer be out on your report? I googled it and couldn't find out any information about gym type contacts but I thought they were also part of this new standard? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Are personal contracts like gym contracts still allowed to be reported? Didn't the law change?

@Bees18 wrote:

I thought I remember in April of last year, that tax liens and contracts such as gyms and libraries ect could no longer be out on your report? I googled it and couldn't find out any information about gym type contacts but I thought they were also part of this new standard? 

I think this is what you're referring to:

The National Consumer Assistance Plan (NCAP) rule of July 1, 2017, which states, in part,

The CRA will remove any Public Record, Judgements, and Liens, that do not have all the required information.  Therefore, tax liens that don’t have the full Social Security Number (SSN) or Date of Birth (DOB) are cause for being removed from the Credit Reporting Agencies database.

EDIT: Found the link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/rdcms-cdia/files/production/public/PDFs/CDIA.NCAP.July1Changes.6.28.pdf

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Are personal contracts like gym contracts still allowed to be reported? Didn't the law change?

There was no change in the law.

However, various civil actions have led to settlement agreements in which the CRAs have made binding reporting guidelines and procedures.

The most comprehensive of such agreements was the settlement agreement a couple of years ago between thr big-3 CRAs and the offices of the AGs of 32 states, which included the new policy that the CRAs would not include tax liens unless the lien included either the address or date of birth of the consumer, and additionally not to include reporting of information that relates to debts that are not the result of any specific contract agreement with the consumer, such as government fines and traffic violations.

A gym memership contracted by the consumer is not excluded under the settlement agreement.

Many of the agreed terms of the settlement agreements that have been entered into by the big-3 CRAs have been included into a PR document released by those CRAs, titled the "National Consumer Assistance Plan."

The CRAs have additionally released an expanded, unilateral policy, to discontine all tax liens from their reports, whih goes beyond the specific requiremets agreed to in their court approved settlement agreements.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.