Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User and Credit Length History

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized User and Credit Length History

@Anonymous Are you saying UW gets a different score?
Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello guys,

I started building my credit 2 years ago, so far it has been going great, my score was at 741 at one point but it has dropped recently because I opened a new account.

My payment history is exceptional and there is no negative things on my account but there is one drawback which seems to pull my whole credit report down with most lenders and that is - account length.

I have heard that it is possible to impact the lengt of credit history if somebody with long credit history adds you to their account.

Is there a way to do this and it would be greatly appreciathed because I will be looking into buying a house in the next year or two and I belive that this would have a great impact on the morgage interest rates lenders may offer me.

Thank you guys 

Yeah find a family member or really good friend who is aware of how AU works. And doesn't convince themselves that the world is ending b/c you are an AU.

Message 22 of 29
CreditobsessedinFL
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@CreditobsessedinFLyes you can dispute those off easily because you had no responsibility.

Once again, MYFICO to the rescue and many, many thanks to @Birdman7 for the advice above.

I disputed the AU account that I referenced in my "piggyback" post above with all three bureaus and it was expeditiously removed (immediately, actually, on EQ) and my score improved most dramatically on TU, +22 pts, which was the one that seemed to be the most suppressed by the old AU Bofa account. 
P.S.- I couldn't get over how easy it was to dispute/clean up my reports with erroneous names and addresses, my experience was nothing like the dreaded CRAs I had heard about from years ago, since I called and spoke to someone at each one, I didn't just do the disputes online. 

In my case, the ancient AU account was helpful, especially to my AOOA, until it went 30/60/60 late, and then the harm outweighed the good.  In the end, it was an easy fix that I wish I had implemented much earlier, especially  BEFORE I applied for additional credit, lol!

But, hopefully the score uptick will be beneficial for my 91/3 with NAVY! 

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditobsessedinFL You’re very welcome. My pleasure and I’m glad it worked out so well for you! Awesome! ☺️

Removing an AU account is probably the easiest dispute you can do!

Message 24 of 29
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

Interesting thread as I fall into this category of want to use AU to help with aging and its not working for me.

I stared my credit rebuild about 5 years ago and I did it wrong by only getting 1 card, but we are here now. At the time I had a Guitar Center Card that was closed in the positive from 2003 and 2 AU credit cards from a parent on my credit report.  AU cards Chase opened in 2003 and Discover Card opened in 2007. I applied for a Capital One card in 2015 and fast forward to when I went on a credit spree and opened 6 new credit cards and 1 personal loan between June -July 2019.

Experian and Equifax recognize the AU cards and TransUnion does not as I had disputed these 2 AU in the past and they will not put them back onto my credit report.I had a very thin file to begin with and before my credit spree, my scores were in the low 800s.

I am now around very low 700s, but the one that this constant in the 3 big credit bureaus is these older AU accounts don’t matter for age as they are using my 5 year credit card from Cap 1 for aging.

1 Year 4 Months
Average Age of Accounts
The average age of your accounts

5 Years 3 Months
Age of Oldest Account
Time since your oldest account was opened
Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AzCreditGuy how do you know that they are not counting? You're not going from the average age calculations from the front end are you?

If they are not counting, the only place they should not be counting is version 8. There is an anti-abuse algorithm that filters them out if they feel like they're not authentic, and there's nothing you can do about it if that's what they do, unfortunately. 

Many have theorized it works by comparing last name and address but no one really knows for sure.

You would have to give more information for a more thorough analysis, such as your profile stats as I speak of in my signature.

I will say this though, the AU accounts should unquestionably count for the mortgage scores as long as they're on the credit report. And if you disputed them off TransUnion, I don't know if you can get them back on or not.

Nevertheless, with a little age you will see your scores rebound. When your youngest revolver turns 12 months old you'll also get some significant points. (As long as you don't apply for anything else.) Low utilization and low number of accounts with a balance will also help.

Message 26 of 29
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@birdman7 how do you know that they are not counting? You're not going from the average age calculations from the front end are you?

They are not as the average is based on my 5 year Cap One Card

If they are not counting, the only place they should not be counting is version 8. There is an anti-abuse algorithm that filters them out if they feel like they're not authentic, and there's nothing you can do about it if that's what they do, unfortunately. 

Yup and thats were the AU on my account dont matter and were most people are basing their reports from 

Many have theorized it works by comparing last name and address but no one really knows for sure.

You would have to give more information for a more thorough analysis, such as your profile stats as I speak of in my signature.

Unsure what you are saying here? Never asked about this?

I will say this though, the AU accounts should unquestionably count for the mortgage scores as long as they're on the credit report. And if you disputed them off TransUnion, I don't know if you can get them back on or not.

Fico 2 Mortgage  scores also state length of credit history is too short, Transunion will not put them back on, long story.

Nevertheless, with a little age you will see your scores rebound. When your youngest revolver turns 12 months old you'll also get some significant points. (As long as you don't apply for anything else.) Low utilization and low number of accounts with a balance will also help.

My 12 months is coming up in June and July  for all new accounts opened and Im gathering data to see how my score changes and what pts I will get back

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AzCreditGuy wrote:

@birdman7 how do you know that they are not counting? You're not going from the average age calculations from the front end are you?

They are not as the average is based on my 5 year Cap One Card

Yup and thats were the AU on my account dont matter and were most people are basing their reports from 

Unsure what you are saying here? Never asked about this?

Fico 2 Mortgage  scores also state length of credit history is too short, Transunion will not put them back on, long story.

My 12 months is coming up in June and July  for all new accounts opened and Im gathering data to see how my score changes and what pts I will get back

Where are you getting your average age calculation from? Whether you get it from the front end (which is not reliable) or whether you calculate it yourself, that still doesn't tell you if the algorithm is counting it. Have you did any test to see whether or not it's counting for version 8 and forward?

Just because you have the reason code for short account history does not mean it's not counting for EX2. If it's on your credit report, it is counting for EX2. It's only version 8 and forward that have the possibility of not counting AU accounts.

Your profile stats allow me to guesstimate your scorecard to a degree. It's explained in my signature but basically is your file clean or dirty? How many accounts are on your CR? What is your oldest account and what is your youngest revolver? And do you have a loan on your CR (open or closed)?

June and July should be good for you!

Message 28 of 29
AzCreditGuy
Established Contributor

@birdman7 send me a PM I can send you figures on my CR

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.