cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user on a card has massively dropped my credit. Can I contest it?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Authorized user on a card has massively dropped my credit. Can I contest it?

Hi and welcome

Being an AU is like a double-edged sword. On the positive side you get to use another’s credit card with no legal obligation to repay and it helps your scores if UT is low; but on the negative side, you may be hit with a score drop if UT is high or Gawd-forbid a payment is missed.

In your scenario, you have no worries because scores have no memory. Since the huge balance was PIF, your scores will rebound.

You asked if there’s anything you can do. Nothing in this particular instance. But if it becomes an ongoing concern—the drastic ups and downs of your friend’s CC UT—you could have yourself removed as an AU and open your own card.

DEC 2019: EX 816, TU 820, EQ 810
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| NFCU CashRewards $30K || AmX Cash Magnet $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macy's $20K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.