Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user

I am in the process of finalizing a divorce. I am 37, and up until a year ago I had no credit...at all. Everything was in my ex husbands name. I was an authorized user on 3 of his credit cards. I told him several months ago to take me off, because I’m trying to build my credit up so I can buy a house. I got it up to 590, and then it fell 60 points. I had no idea why. I finally realized I was still showing as an authorized user. I tried to call the fstore credit cards, but they won’t talk to me. In the meantime, my ex has just filed chapter 13. I have no idea what to do at this point. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized user

You can remove yourself from his accounts by contacting the 3 bureaus directly. You don't have to wait for him to do it or anyone else. You're entitled to a free annual report, so get them and then report the inaccuracies on them. All you have to do is tell the bureaus that the accounts aren't yours, you're simply an authorized user and have no financial responsibility for them. They'll review your request and should be removed in a few weeks.
Good luck with your credit rebuild and life in general.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for responding. I did that on Transunion and Experian. I will go on Equifax right now.
Message 3 of 6
imaximous
Valued Contributor

No problem. I should also mention that you'll get an email update when the outcome has posted. Then you log back in, and check the decision. I can't remember exactly how long it took for mine to update, but it wasn't too long. I was able to remove 2 authorized user accounts from all 3 bureaus.
Message 4 of 6
JVille
Valued Contributor

Because of the Chap 13 you may want to talk to your Attorney. Don’t know what state you live in but you may find banks unwilling to let you off the hook if there is a default on those accounts.
Message 5 of 6
jgdev
Regular Contributor

That shouldn't matter as an authorized user. AUs aren't financially responsible in any way shape or form for the account. 

06/01/2022

12/07/17
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.