Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Adding Back-Dated Information to a Closed Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank Adding Back-Dated Information to a Closed Account

I had a personal bank loan that I paid off and was reporting as Paid in Full a few months back. This past week that closed account updated on my credit files with a 30-day late from October of 2018, close to a year ago. It showed 100% on-time payments a good 2-3 months after it closed until now. Can they really update/add information a year later on a closed account?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Bank Adding Back-Dated Information to a Closed Account

Hi and welcome to the forums @Anonymous 

Who was the loan with? Is the 30 day late accurate?  Have you disputed anything since loan was closed? 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was with a local credit union. They did make a correction to the July month the loan closed, but it wasn't through a dispute through a bureau, was handled directly with them, which was an error on their part that they fixed. Can they also add negative information 12 months in the past just because of this?

Message 3 of 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

When you did a direct dispute (directly with the lender) it made them go over their records. Once they did that, they would have found a delinquency. Because there was an error present, it updated with corrected information (unfortunately)
Yes, lender can report accurate info at any time.
Your best bet at this time is to start a GW campaign and stay on it.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-St...
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.