Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banks Using Mobile App Location Services

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Banks Using Mobile App Location Services

I have no privacy concerns unless the government had direct access to it. I'm ok when it is subpoenaed by the government due to crime investigation but not by a private company. I'd have bigger issues if I'm investigated for a crime.
Message 11 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

My concern (apart from I don't recall I was asked to opt-in, but maybe) is international cell charges abroad.   I had no idea that my phone would be sending this data in the background!

Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked the cost ahead of time and turned off app updates unless its using wifi.
Message 13 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I checked the cost ahead of time and turned off app updates unless its using wifi.

It's not app updates so much (as you say, you can turn those off), it is if the app is transmitting location data to US Bank.    It's not so much the cost of the (presumably small) amount of data, but some plans, such as Verizon, have a $10 charge for any day when you use data abroad,  So an expensive surprise if you think you have controlled your usage to Wifi!  (I guess airplane mode all the time, negating any advantage of the location stuff!)

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, its always best to check data rates and expect some data usage when you are out of airplane mode.
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, its always best to check data rates and expect some data usage when you are out of airplane mode.

Instead of switching app updates to WiFi only, you can turn cell data off entirely but still retain call/text capability.

I keep my phone's data turned off as a matter of principle (just use WiFi at home) unless I need to use it for something like Waze.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but sometimes I want the data, but not the updates.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing new here. Banks and other apps have been tracking our location for ages. In fact, many apps were using Bluetooth to get around system level GPS restrictions. It’s so prevalent that Apple has added a feature to iOS 13 that shows a request for Bluetooth access whenever an app tries to use it so you can choose whether to allow it that time, allow it always, or disallow that app altogether. 

I do the same thing with my data as @Anonymous. Turn off cell data and leave WiFi and phone network on. My plan comes with 100MB of data before I get hit with $12/GB and since I’m pretty much always home, it saves me a lot of money using my phone this way. 

Message 18 of 21
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

I'm totally okay with this. Google gets my location along with however many other apps and if it cuts down on needless fraud declines/texts, it's worth it in my book. 

Message 19 of 21
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

I kinda doubt there is a sophisticated link between the phone apps, and approval for charges on the card. I checked and nearly all my bank apps are set to only track location while the app is open.

The way Bank of America described they would use it was not to verify each individual charge.  It was more in a general sense, and not that they would be watching you all day long either  They were asking for permission to access location data when the app was not being used.  So, about once a day, they ping your general location to cut down on potential fraud alerts. 

While that might not cut them all out if they ping you just before you get on an airplane, it would cut down if you lived in Florida but were visiting Seattle for the week for business or pleasure. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.