Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BillMeLater (BML)

tag
FicoMiko
Established Member

BillMeLater (BML)

The only BML account I have had was opened in 2009 for approximately $1,500 which I'm pretty sure I fully paid off within 24 months but am not positive since it was over a decade ago. The BML website doesn't exist anymore and I have no "proof" I paid it off. Fast forward 10 years, I get a letter a couple days ago from a collection agency called "Convergent" saying they are attempting to collect a Paypal Credit debt of $1,5XX for a BillMeLater Inc. servicer.

Hopefully this is just a scam, but on the off chance I actually DID forgot to pay this off back in 2009, is this going to hurt my credit even though it would be way past 7 yrs of the DoFD? Why has there been zero collections attempts until now and nothing in my credit report at all about this credit line? Will it start to report on my CR?

I'm hoping someone could shed some light, it's taken me a long time to rebuild my credit and I don't want this to destroy my progress.
2018 TU: 576
2018 EQ: 547
2018 EX: 539
2019 TU: 685
2019 EQ: 690
2019 EX: 685
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BillMeLater (BML)

That particular debt collector is well known for buying and trying to collect on zombie debt. There should be something on the letter that states the account is too old to be reported or something similar. If it does, you can just disregard it as long as you are past your state statute of limitations as well. 

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^ yep. Chances are it wasn’t paid, or I don’t know how they would have any way to set up to collect on it, but once it’s out of SOL and the reporting timeframe, you can trash anything they send you.
Message 3 of 14
FicoMiko
Established Member

I'm not seeing anything on it that says it is too old to collect? It is definitely passed the state SOL too. So you're saying they cannot put it on my CR in collections?
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on when it went delinquent, it may be within the 7.5 year statutory reporting timeframe. That mess as is they can report it, but being set your state’s SOL means they can’t sue, they can only report and hope you’ll pay.
Message 5 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That particular debt collector is well known for buying and trying to collect on zombie debt. There should be something on the letter that states the account is too old to be reported or something similar. If it does, you can just disregard it as long as you are past your state statute of limitations as well. 

+1

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FicoMiko wrote:
I'm not seeing anything on it that says it is too old to collect? It is definitely passed the state SOL too. So you're saying they cannot put it on my CR in collections?

Can you post a copy of the letter (ID crossed out)?

Also, if you're not 100% sure of last payment date, DOFD, or SOL, you can always send a letter by "certified--return receipt mail" denying the debt and requesting dicumentation/verification that the debt is even yours. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@FicoMiko wrote:

Can you post a copy of the letter (ID crossed out)?

Also, if you're not 100% sure of last payment date, DOFD, or SOL, you can always send a letter by "certified--return receipt mail" denying the debt and requesting dicumentation/verification that the debt is even yours. 

Exactly, do NOT pay, do NOT acknowledge, paying even a penny right now will bring the entire zombie debt back to life and put you in legal bind.

https://www.wikihow.com/Deal-with-Zombie-Debt

Send certified letter ask for proof you own the debt. Even if you do, it already pass the date when you are legally bound to pay.

Message 8 of 14
FicoMiko
Established Member

IMG_9455-01.jpegIMG_9456-01.jpeg

Message 9 of 14
FicoMiko
Established Member

Hopefully the pictures above help! I don't know when the DoFD is but I'm pretty sure the listed debt is much higher than what the original debt was. Meaning, if I didn't pay then I must have not paid since the beginning?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.