Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black list?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Black list?

Last September, I was a victim of identity theft. I solved all the problems associated with this theft, except one. Capital one ran a hard credit check with the credit bureaus (standard procedure) I understand that.  After we all agreed this was a identity problem, capital one was suppose to have those hard inquires erased. The time line was suppose to be 60-90 days for removal. After several calls to capital one, in which I am getting the runaround. I was wondering, I had a charge off with capital one some 15 years ago, Their representative mentioned this to me. Am I black listed? and therefore capital one will not remove these inquires? Or am I missing  something?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Black list?

How many inquries are we talking about?  You refer to inquries (plural) a couple times, but also refer to the thing that needs to be removed as a credit check by Cap One (check = singular).

If it is just one inquiry, I'd stop worrying about it.  The inquiry or inquiries will stop having any effect on your scores in six months (FICO ignores all inquiries older than 12 months) and the scoring impact of a single inquiry is very small even during that first year.

If we are talking about (a) many inquiries, and (b) you need to apply for credit in the next six months, and (c) the prospective creditor will likely use the same bureau that the inquiries are on, then you might choose to pursue it.  That's a lot of "if"s, however.

In answer to your question about being blacklisted, in one sense the answer is yes -- if it means "Does Cap One still have an internal record of the fact that I screwed them over 15 years ago?"  They are not getting that info from your reports, so it must be an internal record.  On the other hand "blacklist" is typically used to mean a list of people who the creditor/lender is refusing to grant credit to because of past bad behavior.  In that sense you are not on a C1 blacklist, since they approved you for a new credit card a few years ago knowing that you had behaved badly.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Black list?

PS.  Unless the inquiry is a really big deal, I'd be inclined not to poke the bear, since they apparently remember your bad past behavior with them.  Asking somebody to do you a favor who you run up debt with and never paid may not be the best idea.  Lying low and just letting the inquirie(s) to fall off FICO's radar may be the smartest move.  Focus instead on the fact that you already got a stroke of luck when this creditor let you open a card with them -- and that any CC issuer can close a credit card for any reason they like.  A common reason that may not be explicitly given is: this customer has been really bugging us.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.