cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bureaus do not verify or validate collections and refuse to remove from my report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bureaus do not verify or validate collections and refuse to remove from my report

I have two collection accounts on my credit report from third party debt collectors that none of the bureaus will validate, verify or remove.  I have repeatedly challenged the reporting of these accounts and I recieve the same automated response each time (three times since 12/19).

I am never sent the information that the bureaus are using to justify reporting these accounts.  I have written letters each time requesting that the bureaus send me copies of the information they have been given in order to report these accounts, and my requests are ignored.  Short of suing the bureaus, does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this situation? 

6 REPLIES 6
egghead88
Regular Contributor

Re: Bureaus do not verify or validate collections and refuse to remove from my report

We really need more information about collection accts to give you an educated answer.. i.e what was the basis for the dispute and what was the CRAs' response.  

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bureaus do not verify or validate collections and refuse to remove from my report

If you have copies of both sides of the correspondence. Letters you sent and proof you sent it (certified mail receipts), and their response then you can file a complaint with the CFPB

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/07/how-to-complain-and-get-results-with-the-consumer-f...

Message 3 of 7
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you should be disputing with the collection agency not the bureaus. You dispute with the agency, they remove their tradeline and investigate. If the agency doesn't follow the law and continues to report an invalid debt then you dispute with the bureaus and include evidence that the agency is wrong.

Just make sure when you contact the agencies you do so only in writing, Certified Mail Return Receipt Request. I think it's about $8, but you get receipts that creates a time table usable in court and they take you seriously.

Message 4 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Who are the collection agencies your talking about. CRA's take info from the data furnishers from creditors and CA's and then its placed on your reports. They are who you want to contact to verify. But you may have a collection with one of the companies that will PFD if PIF or settled. Please list who the CA are.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nomad3 wrote:

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you should be disputing with the collection agency not the bureaus. You dispute with the agency, they remove their tradeline and investigate. If the agency doesn't follow the law and continues to report an invalid debt then you dispute with the bureaus and include evidence that the agency is wrong.

Just make sure when you contact the agencies you do so only in writing, Certified Mail Return Receipt Request. I think it's about $8, but you get receipts that creates a time table usable in court and they take you seriously.

What you are  discribing is known as a direct dispute which almost never works because the vagueness of consumer protections around direct disputes...imo. CA almost never remove tradelines while they investigate. That mostly happens when you dispute with the bureau. Regardless the OP's issue is the agencies are refusing to comply with his request for method of verification. It seems they are responding with "we verified" (which is very common) and not actually providing the method of verification (assuming the OP did not leave out any details).

@OP make sure your correspondence is clearly stating you are requesting method of verification under FCRA 611. That way if you have to get the CFPB involved there is no ambiguity about your request. There are some MOV letters in some of the sticky threads. Goog luck.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two collection accounts on my credit report from third party debt collectors that none of the bureaus will validate, verify or remove.  I have repeatedly challenged the reporting of these accounts and I recieve the same automated response each time (three times since 12/19).

I am never sent the information that the bureaus are using to justify reporting these accounts.  I have written letters each time requesting that the bureaus send me copies of the information they have been given in order to report these accounts, and my requests are ignored.  Short of suing the bureaus, does anyone have any suggestions to remedy this situation? 

You're not going to sue the bureaus, so stop it.  However, you have a very inexpensive and effective option.  You can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau if you get to the point where you are not getting the legal remedy from the credit bureau and/or collection agencies. Send debt validation letters to the CAs and if no response, work with CFPB.

Good luck to you!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.