Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA report for $6 and other weirdness

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CA report for $6 and other weirdness

I just got my FICO and CRs from all three CRAs and I need some advice. Here's the background: I had really bad credit problems after my divorce 17 years ago and kind of went underground after that. I haven't had anything in my name since then. Three negatives showed up on the CRs I just got-- One medical collection for $6, one for $185, and a state tax lien for $1700, filed in 2001. I didn't know I had any of them on my report. My only positive is that I've been an approved user on an AMEX card for the past 3 years with never late status. My scores are all in the low to mid 600s. What should I do to get rid of the stupid medical collections? I plan to pay the tax lien as soon as possible and understand I'm probably stuck with it for 10 years. My scores would probably improve if I could get more accounts and make sure I pay them on time, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get any with the lien on my report. What can I do? I would appreciate any advice.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CA report for $6 and other weirdness

smar65 wrote:
I just got my FICO and CRs from all three CRAs and I need some advice. Here's the background: I had really bad credit problems after my divorce 17 years ago and kind of went underground after that. I haven't had anything in my name since then. Three negatives showed up on the CRs I just got-- One medical collection for $6, one for $185, and a state tax lien for $1700, filed in 2001. I didn't know I had any of them on my report. My only positive is that I've been an approved user on an AMEX card for the past 3 years with never late status. My scores are all in the low to mid 600s. What should I do to get rid of the stupid medical collections? I plan to pay the tax lien as soon as possible and understand I'm probably stuck with it for 10 years. My scores would probably improve if I could get more accounts and make sure I pay them on time, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get any with the lien on my report. What can I do? I would appreciate any advice.

$6 collection! OUCH! I would try and negotiate a pay for delete agreement on all of these. The Tax lien will be the most difficult. How old are the collections? Have the taxes been paid? Did you get your AMEX with these items on your report?

You are definately lacking the mix of credit needed for good scores. Even with low to mid 600s you should qualify for a coupe of store cards. Here are some pretty eay ones to get:

Walmart
Target
Macys
Bloomingdales

Good luck!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, here's an update. Tell me what you think about my plan of action. In my first post I should have said I'm an authorized user on the amex instead of approved user (I was tired). My MIL has agreed to put me on as an AU on another card. With her credit, it will have a high limit and very low balance. That should help, right? I was also approved for another revolving acct with a 1500. limit.

I plan to clean up my old addresses on my CRs and dispute the ridiculous $6 Med collection. If that doesn't work, I'll let it ride, as it's due to fall off in Feb. 2008. I'm also going to go through the proper channels to dispute the $185 med. collection. Insurance should have paid that one. I'll get in touch with the Ins. Co. first and find out why they didn't pay it and take it from there. I'll pay the tax lien within the next few months. There's really nothing I can do about that one.

Does this sound like a good plan?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

smar65 wrote:
Well, here's an update. Tell me what you think about my plan of action. In my first post I should have said I'm an authorized user on the amex instead of approved user (I was tired). My MIL has agreed to put me on as an AU on another card. With her credit, it will have a high limit and very low balance. That should help, right? I was also approved for another revolving acct with a 1500. limit.

I plan to clean up my old addresses on my CRs and dispute the ridiculous $6 Med collection. If that doesn't work, I'll let it ride, as it's due to fall off in Feb. 2008. I'm also going to go through the proper channels to dispute the $185 med. collection. Insurance should have paid that one. I'll get in touch with the Ins. Co. first and find out why they didn't pay it and take it from there. I'll pay the tax lien within the next few months. There's really nothing I can do about that one.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Sounds good to me.   I wouldn't pay a 6 dollar collection either.  Its ridiculous to trach anyone's credit for that measley amount of money

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reporting anything to collections like that should be illegal.
Message 5 of 6
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Yep.. your plan sounds good. Best of luck!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.