Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CA trying to collect money but not on my CR

tag
Greene718
Contributor

CA trying to collect money but not on my CR

About a month ago i started recieving letters from a CA the name is ACI trying to collect a debt but they are not on my credit report. They are trying to collect a debt that another CA is already trying to collect n that collector is SST n they are reporting on my credit report so is there a reason that both of them is trying to collect the same debt. N im not sure if because I sent a DV letter to SST but today I recieved an alert that they report my acct delinq to TU but its already showing up as delinq on TU already so im sort of confused...anyone? What should i do about ACI they are not on my CR but they are sending me letters that another CA is already trying to collect.

Starting Score: EX 552 TU 652
Current Score: EQ 627 TU 715
Goal Score: EQ 670 TU 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

Re: CA trying to collect money but not on my CR

You should DV ACI.  If you've DV'd SST, they must cease collection activity until they verify.  This includes updating your listing to the CRAs.  If they've done this since receving your DV (and it sounds like they have), then they are in FDCPA violation. 
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CA trying to collect money but not on my CR

Here is my read.

SST was in your CR, and you DVd them.   They did not respond.  They did not have to.

Now a new CA named ACI has sent you a collection notice.

Apparently, ACI bought the debt from SST.

ACI does not have to post to your CR before they can contact you to collect the debt. 

Yes, it is a bit confusing, but you should DV ACI within the 30-day period set forth in their dunning notice.  The prior DV to SST is apparently not an issue now.

The post by SST can remain until such time as ACI posts to your CR.  You can only have one CA on your CR at one time.

If ACI posts, then SST must delete.

Respond to the most recent dunning notice within 30-days, and DV each.  If ACI now turns it over to another CA, that new CA must provide their own new dunning notice.  They are hoping you dont DV within 30-days of their dunning notice.

Deal with credit repoting issues if and when they occur.  I dont see them as of yet.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.