Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC UTIL question

tag
SoundoftheSuburbs
New Contributor

CC UTIL question

Is it important to have each of your tradelines under 30% utilization or is it acceptable to have an overall utilization of below 30% with a card or two over that amount?

February 2023 FICO 8

Equifax - 546
TransUnion - 539
Experian - 563
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC UTIL question

It's best to have your overall utilization under 8.9% and no card over 28.9%.

Some people practice the AZEO method where all cards report a balance of zero at statement time except one in which that card has a small balance. $15-20 or so.  Just don't let all cards report zero or fico will penalize you

I, personally, don't do AZEO...i let all my cards report a small balance, but each of my cards is under 7-8% as well as my overall utilization.

Message 2 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Just to clarify, "under 30%" means 28.9% or below. That's because FICO rounds all percentages up. 29.0000001% would round up to 30% and would no longer be "below 30%."

All cards at 28.9% or below indicates "responsible" borrowing. It's a great look when applying, and it generally puts one in FICO's second best scoring tier. Going over 28.9% on an individual card is fine from time to time. If you're doing it fairly frequently, you might want to consider requesting limit increases on those cards.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

If you're doing it fairly frequently, you might want to consider requesting limit increases on those cards.

In the case of a Transactor I definitely agree with this.  In the case of a Revolver, though, CLIs are really a band-aid to the bigger underlying issue of less responsible use of credit (spending more than you're able/willing to pay).

Message 4 of 5
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Supposedly, the best is when your overall is under 9% and each individual is under 29%. However, I decided to stop getting too hung up on the numbers and just try to keep my balances as low as I can without driving myself crazy lol 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.