Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CITI fraud help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CITI fraud help

So my taxes were hacked 8 weeks ago someone sent in my taxes as me etc finally got that taken care of and my return last week. Had free access to protectmyid.com because of this, got an alert this morning that 

Inquiry Date:

CBNA
PO BOX 6142
SIOUX FALLS, SD 571176142

6/23/2016

Hit me up for a hard inquiry on both EQ and Ex, both scored dropped 2-5points on myfico.com  Called multiple numbers for citi they said there was an acct opened in my name, it wasnt me i havent applied for any credit in 6months.I find it odd that just 2weeks ago was the first citi prequalified offers ive ever recieved in my mail and i went on their site once to see which cards i was prequalified for just last week but this is a soft pull as you know.

IN anycase they closed the acct and wouldnt even tell me what card it was for etc but i am more concerened about getting the hard inquires removed, i cannot seem to talk to anyone about this and of course i dont have a card number when i call etc, i just keep getting transferred around and people saying my computer is telling me to call so and so number for this kinda of issue. HOw the heck do u speak with someone and say hey not my doing it was fraud i want these inquries removed asap because ive been at it 2hours and am about to give up????
10 REPLIES 10
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

Re: CITI fraud help

That would suck. Not sure what your options are other than freezing your accts and alerting credit agencies. Perhaps signing up with Lifelock or similiar protection agency. I think they offer a free six month trial. Good luck!

Message 2 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

So my taxes were hacked 8 weeks ago someone sent in my taxes as me etc finally got that taken care of and my return last week. Had free access to protectmyid.com because of this, got an alert this morning that 

Inquiry Date:

CBNA
PO BOX 6142
SIOUX FALLS, SD 571176142

6/23/2016

Hit me up for a hard inquiry on both EQ and Ex, both scored dropped 2-5points on myfico.com  Called multiple numbers for citi they said there was an acct opened in my name, it wasnt me i havent applied for any credit in 6months.I find it odd that just 2weeks ago was the first citi prequalified offers ive ever recieved in my mail and i went on their site once to see which cards i was prequalified for just last week but this is a soft pull as you know.

IN anycase they closed the acct and wouldnt even tell me what card it was for etc but i am more concerened about getting the hard inquires removed, i cannot seem to talk to anyone about this and of course i dont have a card number when i call etc, i just keep getting transferred around and people saying my computer is telling me to call so and so number for this kinda of issue. HOw the heck do u speak with someone and say hey not my doing it was fraud i want these inquries removed asap because ive been at it 2hours and am about to give up????

There will be a time for having the inquiries removed, but right now you need to protect yourself from further damage... if you haven't already you need to freeze your credit reports with all three bureaus! 

I'm afraid if you don't get a handle on this quickly a few points off your credit score will be the least of your concern.  Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just froze all 3 via phone, yes i coulda got it done for free but i dont have time to find fraud documents and upload them and im sure they wouldnt even do it til monday, so froze all 3 bureaus, 10 bucks each.  

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to file an identity theft case with the police.  If you do and file a dispute the CRAs are required by law to remove any entries that are a result of the identity theft.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know that do u just call or show up and and precinct to do so?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't know that do u just call or show up and and precinct to do so?

That varies by where you live and the practices of your local police department.  You'll gave to call them and find out

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: after numerous calls to finally get someone from citi happy to be working on a Saturday I sorta have this resolved. Acct was opened 2 days ago from an online app citi fraud said we did a bad job on our part considering you don't live in Miami beach and have no references to ever having lived there any any of your updated credit reports we should have caught that. Acct was a double pull and because it was closed as fraud both hard hits will be withdrawn eventually, was told if not within the next few weeks to call back. What an ordeal lesson learned dad was right 2 months ago after my tax fraud asking are u gonna buy a house,car or need another card in the next 6 months then freeze ur credit to be safe. 

Message 8 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Update: after numerous calls to finally get someone from citi happy to be working on a Saturday I sorta have this resolved. Acct was opened 2 days ago from an online app citi fraud said we did a bad job on our part considering you don't live in Miami beach and have no references to ever having lived there any any of your updated credit reports we should have caught that. Acct was a double pull and because it was closed as fraud both hard hits will be withdrawn eventually, was told if not within the next few weeks to call back. What an ordeal lesson learned dad was right 2 months ago after my tax fraud asking are u gonna buy a house,car or need another card in the next 6 months then freeze ur credit to be safe. 

I'm glad to hear Citi was so reasonable to deal with!  Smiley Happy

I'm also glad to see you were able to get those reports frozen... that will stop any further 'shenanigans' while you work to get the inquiries from Citi removed.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Good, that it seems this will all be resolved. I would look into taking whatever steps possible to get your info changed to protect against this. Obviously, someone has your info out there and is using it, and until something gets changed, this can resurface again.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.