Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLINGING!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLINGING!

@Anonymous wrote:

I just read through all 6-7 pages and I did not see a single Credit Score listed by DangerMouse6.  Did I miss it??

DangerMouse:

Your job is a cash cow at $110k a year.  You're far above the regular folk who struggle to earn half that.  And your wife's extra $13k a year adds more possibility to just taking care of the debt . . . period!

But besides the "period" . . . you and your wife need someone who can be totally trustworthy to go over your income and expense report for the last 30 days.  The answer to better sleep is to come up with a plan that a confidential advocate can help you with.  My advice is . . . do NOT go the bankrupt route.  You have dozens of established accounts with long histories.  And if your current 3-Bueau Credit Report shows you have a decent credit score . . . that's worth fighting for!

Some of us are approved volunteer advocates who would not charge you a sawbuck to help you and your wife to see a clear path through the rocky jungle.  But that's what you need . . . a vision that is based on a reliable solution to get out of the debt, keep the accounts (maybe trim some of them that have annual fees), and live within your $123k a year.  

Someone mentioned the snowball effect.  It's in the Dave Ramsey Book . . . who is renown for getting out of debt and saving the savings of little things to obtain a lot of cash on hand.  The book is cheap, the time it takes to read it is the real cost to you.

But again, no one here knows you . . . and if you have a credit score that is worth fighting for . . . then tell us.

Michael

Thanks Michael-2008 for your reply.  My score is at 700 and my wife is at 650.  We've decided to go over all expenses to see where we can cut corners.  My wife is going to see if she can get a stay at home job to supplement.  Trying to see if we can make it. The more you make the more you spend, so trying to go back to trying to lower bills.

Message 61 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Look, forgive me because I just read down to the OP's "judgement proof" comment on his SO's disability and the assumption it cannot be touched by creditors and I just had to respond. With this in mind, first, if someone else already addressed this point, forgive me, and second, please allow me to speak from experience: disability is NO HOW, NO WAY, "JUDGEMENT-PROOF". Up to a maximum of 15% of your DW's benefits can be garnished by creditors...unless things have changed in the last few years.

Just so yannow. BOL and I pray you two will prosper beyond belief.

AirTroop, thanks for replying.  It is to my best belief that if a bank account is receiving disability then that account can't be touched.  I can be wrong, so someone please chim in.  Thank you, same to you and yours.

Message 62 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

One thing that stands out to me is something you wrote in post #23

"Applying for loan right now is not an option because I already have a loan out to cover my father-in-laws medical bills.  My wife is an only child and has to take care of her dad."

As a caregiver for a mom with severe mental illness & a few physical issues as well, I can tell you that is not your legal obligation.

My mom moved in with us 6 years ago when her husband passed away, thankfully he left her excellent insurance but...

If he had not, there is ample help thru the gov't (ouch hurts to type) for medical issues with a disabled person. You said he has early Alzheimer's and that would qualify him for medicaid. There should be zero liability on you or your wife for his medical. In addition, he should qualify for monthly income for his living expenses and food.

If you are not receiving these, you need to get with a case worker in your state. Pronto! 

In addition; if your wife is now disabled she should also qualify for medicaid and they can back bill for up to 90 days in most states. Again; get with a case worker on this.

There are a lot of resources for both your wife and your FIL, in addition to state assistance there are charity grants that can pay medical bills/expenses. A case worker will likely know of these but you can also call your local hospital and inquire at the medical offices. Google grants for Alzheimer caregivers! There are many...  grants for alzheimer caregivers

The most important thing is to ASK! If you don't Ask for help with these things, you wont get it..

Best of luck to you and many prayers for your wife's recovery and your Father-in-Law. I know first hand how difficult being a caregiver can be and you have 2 people your are caring for. Ask for help.Heart

Thank Pikaboo-icu, went to a info seminar and found out about community medicaid.  Looking into that as well. I don't want my wife using medicaid, since she the docs she uses don't take it.  I have good insurance so she's good with that.  Gonna try and get him food stamps and whatever other sevices he qualifies for.  Will look into the grants as well. Thanks again.

Message 63 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sloedough wrote:

WOW! This thread got confusing fast.

First of all, kudos to you for supporting your wife and her dad, and then still have enough left to worry about her credit. Personally I don't know if I could handle it.

The only thing I can add here is; when I was young I destroyed my credit, with a Sears card and bad checks. At the time I found a credit counceling agency that helped me out. Don't use the ones you pay for, there are counclers out there that are not-for-proffit. Those are the ones you need to look for. Some of the things I learned then, I still use today. I was 19 when I did this, so things might be very different now.

A credit councler should be free to talk to, the only thing it will cost you is time. They will take a small percentage, it you use them to negoiate with your creditors, and pay them to pay your creditors. You always have the option to just take their advice and do the leg work yourself. Just remember to use only not-for-proffit counclers.

Again I have serious respect for you, taking care of your wife and her dad, while working 10+ hours a day. We all should be asking you for advice.

Thanks Sloedough, I'm just trying to survive the daily grind like everybody else.  It's not easy, but my wife is the best and makes my life richer and so I do what I have to do.  Thanks again for the compliment. 

Message 64 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just read through everything. I am really not going to be adding anything that others have not already said. Just want to point out that it can be quick for us to judge OP because of the six figure salary...but depending on where you live, $114K per year is the minimum you need to earn to live a middle class lifestyle. Denver, for instance, is getting insanely unaffordable. I earn $72K a year but cannot afford a single family house (ave price now is over $500K) on my own because of the prices. And rent isn't any better.  Point being, a lot of people spend a lot on housing depending on the city/state you live. And while those in California, NYC area, Boston and Seattle may think Denver is a cowtown (OMG it so isn't and please for the love of all things holy please stop moving here!) and is cheaper than where you live now...take for instance that Boise, ID is fast becoming unaffordable too-Boise. No longer are the older, huge cities the only expensive places in the US.

I would still try to take care of some of the smaller card balances first and then move on to the next cards. You never said what 24 of the 26 cards were. I have to assume that some of these are store cards with smaller balances. What I would try at first is to start tackling the smaller balance cards by paying them off and then moving towards the larger balance cards. If you break it down from card to card like that, you can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel and can accomplish taking care of the debt. Once you get rid of the balances on some of the smaller cards you may be able to get a loan for the rest. 

If after trying that (and really trying) you find that the burden is too great then Mrs. should consider filing for bankruptcy. I kind of feel that you came here seeking validation or "approval" to file. Ultimately it is your family's life and you will know best how to handle the situation. Remember that bankruptcy is not the Scarlet Letter it used to be and there is no real shame in going that route and learning from it. 

Thanks CO_NATIVE being born and raised in Brooklyn, NY, it really is insanely expensive, so our cost of living is going to be naturally higher.  BK is getting out of hand making it that much harder to get ahead.  We are looking into every avenue but BK would be the last resort.  We've worked so hard to get where we are with the cards and just want to cut them down to a reasonable amount and continue to build our credt.  My wife told me she felt like a burden and didn't want my credit to suffer because of us taking care of her father and losing her income.   Plan on paying three small ones in June and see where that leaves us. 

Message 65 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Thanks Michael-2008 for your reply.  My score is at 700 and my wife is at 650.  We've decided to go over all expenses to see where we can cut corners.  My wife is going to see if she can get a stay at home job to supplement.  Trying to see if we can make it. The more you make the more you spend, so trying to go back to trying to lower bills.

That's worth fighting for.  Her score of 650 is just south of 719, and your's is just shy of 760.

I just cancelled my daily newspaper ($20/month), and I have not renewed my favorite magazines so as to wait until Amazon Prime Day in a month or so when the mags go on sale for $1 each.  I also have cut far back on buying Blu-Ray and 4K disks now that I have Bluray and 4K Streaming on my Netflix and Amazon TV/movies . . .  I eat less and see to lose some fat.  I stopped soda pop and went to my own special brew of Glacier National Park gallons of the best water in the world (frigid cold and with a straw . . . which bypasses the taste buds for more water consumption.  And the regular groceries, household goods, and supplies . . . we get up towards 20% off because of a combination of Amazon Prime Visa 5% cash back and Subscribe and Save.  For other stores, we buy their store gift cards at 90 cents on the dollar and then link the final shopping cart purchase through eBates for another 5% off.  All of these 5 and 10 cent items amount to around $1000 cash back into our wallets . . . and $1000 a year can certainly help drive down the principal portion of credit card balance.

Message 66 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.