Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable TV checks

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Cable TV checks

Are cable companies inquiries hard or soft?  What's been your experience?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cable TV checks

I've only had this happen to me once, but it was soft. As it should be. I believe hard inquires should only be used when someone is determining if they want to extend credit to you. 

Message 2 of 12
ScarlettClone
Valued Member

AT&T and Direct TV have been hard inquiries for me. 

Message 3 of 12
babbles
Established Contributor

whoa!

Message 4 of 12
ScarlettClone
Valued Member

If I remember correctly Verizon and Comcast are also Hard, but I think Time Warner is soft. 

Message 5 of 12
babbles
Established Contributor

What about Dish?

Message 6 of 12
ScarlettClone
Valued Member

I don't think I have ever had dish. so I am not sure. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

DirectTV is a hard pull.  Here is a recent thread by a fairly angry person.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Direct-TV-pulls-credit-to-determine-your-month...

Message 8 of 12
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

DirectTV is a hard pull.  Here is a recent thread by a fairly angry person.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Direct-TV-pulls-credit-to-determine-your-monthly-bill/td-p/5027284

Yeah, DirecTV is a HP, even when you just give them the last 4 digits of your social. I had it installed 4-5 years ago, and balked when they asked for my DOB & SS#, insisting that I wasn't applying for credit. The Rep said "OK, the last 4 digits will be enough". It was, for a HP! But I have an unusual last name, if it were Smith or Jones it might not have been enough to do a HP.

I had Dish before that, I don't know if it was a HP, I wasn't monitoring my credit back then.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly a HP makes perfect sense to me. I could in theory rack up several thousand worth of paper view charges. Now who's not extending you credit?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.