cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Hard Pull be disputed on a credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a Hard Pull be disputed on a credit report?

Hi everyone,

I recently applied for a CLI on my BOA card that has a $2500 limit and a $0 balance (I use it every month, but also pay it in full every month, I try to always keep the utilization below 30% at most).

Was denied, stating recent activity has been too low. The card is used every month, I just didnt make any purchases for the month of February. Ive had the card for 2 years. I called BOA and the lady told me basically to go out, use the card a bit more, then call back to see if they can approve a recon.

I did exactly that, spending over $1,000 in a few days.  So I call BOA back, explain the situation, and the rep says ok, and just asks a few questions to "confirm and verify" the info I had previously given for the initial CLI.  A few seconds later, she says, "you will be receiving a decision in the mail within 7-10 business days"...I almost lost it...she and her supervisor didnt want to hear it from me or fix it.

I just ran my updated Credit Report, and what do you know? TWO HARD PULLS from BOA within a 48 hour period... So, now i'm ticked off.  Can I dispute this HP or at least "add a comment" like you can do with other info on the credit report, such as a collection, wrong balance, wrong address, etc?

Thank you guys for any info 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Can a Hard Pull be disputed on a credit report?

I'm not sure if you can, but by asking for a CLI you gave permission for a HP to be done so it wouldn't be effective anyway. You can call BoA and ask if they'll remove the second one or code it as a SP.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You cannot dispute a legitimate hard pull, and this is indeed a legitimate hard pull. You requested a CLI twice and BoA only does HP CLI requests. (unless you receive an auto CLI or an offer of some sort).

Any time you request credit, you are authorizing a hard pull.

BoA is a known hard puller.

Adding a comment to your report is not going to really help anything.

Unfortunately, just a few days of usage on any card is not going to change a credit limit increase decision. When a CLI is denied it is often best to work on the reasons it was denied and reapply in 6 months.

Message 3 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about that, going through the effort and getting a denial on a CLI is no fun.

What are your FICO scores? Do you have other CC accounts?

Were the two HP to the same bureau, or to two different credit bureaus?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525

NRB525

My scores are 772, 751 and 762 (ish?)

I have 100% payment history on all cards/accounts, never a single late, my overall UTIL on ALL accounts is 28% as of this morning..

The reason I was asking for the CLI, is because I havent really done one on any of my cards in about a year, and recently did my discover, that was $5,000 , they gave me a $3000 increase, bringing it to $8k , my citibank card went from $3500 to $4k, and Chase freedom unltd went from $12,500 to $15,000 , and shortly after that, I closed my $0 balance slate card and transfered the credit line to the freedom card, so now the freedom card has $27,000 Credit Limit.

So, it really isnt about scores alone, utlization alone, payment history alone, as heavy swiping looks to play a major role in it.

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

humuh,

Yea, i kinda already knew BOA did HP's, but, BUT...I listened to the rep and did everything she said WORD FOR WORD.  Live and learn I guess.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

rmduhon

I think I may try and do that, asking BOA if they can convert the HP to a SP given the circumstances.

Hopefully thats something they CAN do.....

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say that card belongs in the SD. I'd be pretty ticked off too. You are getting no love from BOA that's for sure!

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

rmm140 ,

yes, I actually asked the lady, ok who do i speak to to close the account? she said, you wanna close it now? I said I think so, to call her bluff..and she just trasferred me to the accounts department...

I did however submit two letters to the support/complaints department.

Message 9 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Can you dispute?

Yes.  However, if you do, it must be via the CRA, as direct disputes related to inquries are explicitly excluded from the direct dispute process under 16 CFR 660.4 et seq.

Since their is no "furnisher" for an inquiry, as an inquiry is not the reporting of information to a consumer's credit file, but rather just the opposite, there is no requirment to forward any dispute related to an inquiry to anyone, and the CRA alone reinvestigates the dispute.

Should you dispute?

No, for the reasons presented by others.

Additionally, a CRA is legally required, under certain conditions, to provide a record of inquiries if requested within certain time frames, and deletion from a consumer's file would be contrary to that requirment.  Once a CRA has sent a credit report to a third party, the toothpaste cannot be returned to the tube, and record of the inquiry must be retained.  The CRAs routinely refuse to delete inquiries unless they lack permissible purpose.

The proper process to remove the impact of the second inquiry would be to attempt to have the inquiry recoded as soft.

Pursing disputes is not likely to foster any effort on their part to pursue recoding as a soft pull.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.