cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a incorrect account open date be disputed and removed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a incorrect account open date be disputed and removed?

I have a bank charge off on my credit report. The bank account was open to my girlfriend in 2012, I then later came on as a joint account holder in 2018. The account has not been sold to a collections agency as the bank is still reporting the account as a charge off. There are reporting that the account open in 2012, I did not open the account in 2012, she did by herself. Can i dispute this and have it removed from my credit report? If yes, when sending the dispute letter to the credit reporters, should i include a copy of the document from the bank of when i joined the account as a join accont holder in 2018? or one of her bank statements before 2018 without my name? thanks. 

I like to add that the account is showing on her credit report as well. and the account is listed as "Paid,closed" on my credit report even through neither of us has paid it. On my credit report it is listed as joint holder, 1 month under additional information. The account charged off in April 2019, but they contine to report it every month as faulire to pay, includuing this month

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Can a wrong account open date be disputed and removed?

Welcome @Anonymous 

Hopefully you were added as an authorized user and didnt go with a joint account. 2 separate things. If your an AU. Have her remove you from that status and it will dissapear from your reports due to her being the primary account holder regardless of what it says on your reports.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, the bank is eecu and i check my membership agreement sheet and im listed as a joint account, but wiredly enough she had to sign to but under her signuatre it says primary.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're a joint owner, you're on the hook too, kind of like the way you're on the hook for a defaulted loan if you co-signed for it. A joint account owner means you've agreed to also be accountable for the status and maintenance of the account, and they can pursue you for collection of money owed. This is why @FireMedic1 was asking for the distinction between joint owner and AU. As an AU you offer no guarantee on your own name, but as joint owner you do.

Message 4 of 14
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Can a incorrect account open date be disputed and removed?

Most bank's don't allow you to add a "joint" owner or co-borrower after the account was opened.

Typically any new card holder will be an Authorized User.

If you are an authorized user, you can dispute "Not my responsibility" and have it removed.

If for some reason you are a co-borrower, the date she opened the account is actually correct; not the day you joined the account. In this scenario you are on the hook for the debt, Negatives and all.

Providing the creditor might get some useful information from some of the members with personal history with your lender.
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 5 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous 

Both posters are correct, if you are an actual Joint account holder you get the history no matter when you were addedSmiley Sad

Also please do not post multiple threads for the same question. it can get confusing.

Thanks.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

@Anonymous 

Both posters are correct, if you are an actual Joint account holder you get the history no matter when you were addedSmiley Sad

Also please do not post multiple threads for the same question. it can get confusing.

Thanks.

+1

I've merged the two threads, but as @Jnbmom mentions above please avoid cross-posting... it's confusing to follow and is against the rules here.

--UB

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems to me that the "bank" in question is actually a credit union. And since credit unions are membership-based entities, they typically do not allow authorized users on depository accounts like savings or checking; each person named on an account must become a member of the credit union then sign up for joint accounts.

Message 8 of 14
satio
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a bank charge off on my credit report. The bank account was open to my girlfriend in 2012, I then later came on as a joint account holder in 2018. The account has not been sold to a collections agency as the bank is still reporting the account as a charge off. There are reporting that the account open in 2012, I did not open the account in 2012, she did by herself. Can i dispute this and have it removed from my credit report? If yes, when sending the dispute letter to the credit reporters, should i include a copy of the document from the bank of when i joined the account as a join accont holder in 2018? or one of her bank statements before 2018 without my name? thanks. 

I like to add that the account is showing on her credit report as well. and the account is listed as "Paid,closed" on my credit report even through neither of us has paid it. On my credit report it is listed as joint holder, 1 month under additional information. The account charged off in April 2019, but they contine to report it every month as faulire to pay, includuing this month

Is this a bank account (checking/savings) that went into negative balance because of overdrafts and fees or is this a credit card account with an unpaid balance?

Message 9 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, if any information is inaccurate, you can file a dispute with the CRA and contest its accuracy.

FCRA 611(a) permits a consumer to dispute the accuracy or completeness of "any item of information in thir credit file at the time of the dispute."

No, filing of a dispute of information of record in your creidt file/report that is found by the furnisher to be inaccurate does not require that the entire account be removed/deleted.  The FCRA requires that the information identified in the dispute, if found to be inaccurate, must either be corrected or deleted, as appropriate.  Deletion is only mandated if the information is not corrected, and even then, deletion only applies to the information identfied in the dispute, and not to the entire account.

Deletion of the entire account would only be at issue if the dispute was directed at the legitimacy of the account itself.

Disputing items reported under the account does not render the entire reporting inaccurate, and is not basis for requiring deletion of the account.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.