cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't fix incorrect reporting from AMEX - help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't fix incorrect reporting from AMEX - help!

Hi all,

This is my first post so please bear with me! I was - emphasis on the past tense - an authorized user on my parent's AMEX (they live close by and occasionally ask me to grab things at the store, etc). They never carry a credit card balance.

Now flash forward and during my current mortgage application (slated to close 30 June) learn my parents have charged $17K on their AMEX and it's dinging all my scores 14-20 points. My father called and closed the card immediately. I called the AMEX Credit Bureau Union and they assured me the $0 balance would reflect on my credit reports shortly.

Two follow up phone calls to AMEX, and even attempted disputes with Experian and Equifax, and I'm still showing an active AMEX with a $17K balance that I want GONE. During my last call to AMEX on 30 April they confirmed they're reporting $0 to all three bureaus and it would be reflected no later than 5 May. 10 days later it's still showing on all three reports.

When I call AMEX they say they're doing the right thing, when I call the bureaus they sall call AMEX. What's the best way forward for me to get this account successfully reflecting $0? Should I ask AMEX to send me a letter, open disputes with all bureaus, and attach the letter?? Appreciate thoughts/wisdom!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Can't fix incorrect reporting from AMEX - help!

The solution is simple.

Get yourself removed as an AU, and the account reporitng deleted.

While they are still reporting the account to your credit file, closing the account does not result in the balance becoming $0.

It simply means the card is no longer upen for further charges.

Thus, it is unclear as to how continued reporting of the debt on the account is inaccurate...........

Message 2 of 4
Abby3

I was an authorized user on my mother's VISA - she passed away several years ago - and in 2014 my credit score plummeted at TU to 680 - my current FICO score at TU is 837 - 850 at EQ; 848 at EXP. I wrote a letter to TU to dispute indicating that I was only an authorized user and not responsible for the activity. I used a template letter I found on the Internet. It took three months, but after investigation Chase mailed me a letter indicating that it was being removed. My score zoomed. I was recently looking at my credit report and noted that I am still listed as an authorized user at one of the bureaus. Don't be surprised - It may take a while for the authorized user status to be completely erased. I am anticipating it to happen to me again. Telephoning doesn't give you any protection - you need to put it in writing. Make sure you get proof of delivery of whatever you send. This protects you. They will investigate. I learned to be patient.
Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

This is my first post so please bear with me! I was - emphasis on the past tense - an authorized user on my parent's AMEX (they live close by and occasionally ask me to grab things at the store, etc). They never carry a credit card balance.

Now flash forward and during my current mortgage application (slated to close 30 June) learn my parents have charged $17K on their AMEX and it's dinging all my scores 14-20 points. My father called and closed the card immediately. I called the AMEX Credit Bureau Union and they assured me the $0 balance would reflect on my credit reports shortly.

Two follow up phone calls to AMEX, and even attempted disputes with Experian and Equifax, and I'm still showing an active AMEX with a $17K balance that I want GONE. During my last call to AMEX on 30 April they confirmed they're reporting $0 to all three bureaus and it would be reflected no later than 5 May. 10 days later it's still showing on all three reports.

When I call AMEX they say they're doing the right thing, when I call the bureaus they sall call AMEX. What's the best way forward for me to get this account successfully reflecting $0? Should I ask AMEX to send me a letter, open disputes with all bureaus, and attach the letter?? Appreciate thoughts/wisdom!

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Simply open disputes with all 3 CRAs disputing as "I am not responsible for repayment of the debt, was only an AU, please remove the entry from my credit file"

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.