Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancellation of Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cancellation of Credit Cards

I am on a quest to pay off all of my credit cards.  I called a couple of creditors to see if they would lower the interest rate on my cards, but they would not so I cancelled them.  I am not in arrears or anything on the cards, but one of the reps for the credit card company  told me that cancelling the card with a balance owed would negatively affect my credit score?  Is there any truth to this? 

Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancellation of Credit Cards

In my experience, they won't allow you to cancel if you have a balance. However if you were successful in canceling and are still paying, they should still update when you make payments, but then it's not really canceled. Smiley Happy Canceling cards can lower your score too because the CL is not factored in any more against your UTL.

But to answer your question, a negative balance on a closed account is not good, but just because it is negative, does not mean it was reported as charge off or late. The negative amount goes against your UTL I believe just as if it were open, BUT, the credit limit is no longer counted, so your UTL is higher.

If they stop reporting payments, you will have to get them update your CR to reflect paid $0 bal. This is important!!!

Never close until card is paid in full if you must close. Smiley Happy I can't see how they would close it if you are still making payments.

** If you closed a card with a $0 bal, and it shows debt still. YES you need them to correct it, or dispute it as $0 bal.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancellation of Credit Cards

Thanks for the information! Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.