Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One asking for ID

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One asking for ID

So a few months ago I signed up for thier mobile app and a day or two later, my card was frozen. When I called in, they claim to suspect fraud and want me to send in a copy of my ID! Has anyone heard of this before?

At this point, they can rot. This is the 3 maybe even 4th time I have had to deal with their BS and "suspected fraud" line when none was happening, so it can sit on restricted status and I will just continue to pay it. Whats so odd over it is I have had them for just about 10 years and now they are asking lol. The best part is I have moved, and when I called to give them a chance ot update the address, they wont do it because I need to send in an ID. Umm okay so it can just sit with the wrong address. When I pay it off Im not sure they would even let me close it.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Cap One asking for ID

If you moved and they don't have your current address that is the reason. They want your ID to verify your new address you can either comply (which is simple enough) or close your account .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh this happened well before I moved.

Message 3 of 17
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh this happened well before I moved.

Ok that's odd hmmmm

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 17
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Maybe there's someone out there committing fraud in your name?

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing unusual on my CBRs and no other creditors being weird. I know all our info is out there because of the EX breach a while back but still. As far as I can tell, its literally out of the blue but of course they wont share any deets with me until I send in an ID and given their past history of claiming "potential fraud" and it not being so, it doesnt make sense. If they wanted ID and income or something like that maybe but its not.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the aversion to showing them the ID and proof of address?

Put yourself in a lender's shoes- wouldn't you want to verify the person and address if you're loaning them thousands of dollars?

Message 7 of 17
Gat
Established Member

I have a cap one card

Tried opening a savings account with cap one they 

transferred me to their fraud department... they kept telling me my info didn't match what was on file...

gave up 

but credit card is ok

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly its a few points that make me have an issue doing that.

1. I have had this exact same card for just under 10 years
2. Absolutely no other creditor has ever asked for this information

3. Every time they claim fraud, it never is which to me is lying, costing ME time and energy

4. No explaination at all and even weirder, no desire to get a current address or SS card or anything.. just ID.

Then comes the lack of any real value to incentivise me to once again use up my time and energy on them. 1.5% cashback is equal or less than anything else I have. High APR. Its a nice limit at 14800 I think but I have other high limit cards and it still reports as that limit too.

Message 9 of 17
W261w261
Frequent Contributor

Your texts ring of someone standing on principle, but it's hard for me to understand what that principle is. Cap1 should have their stuff better together? They shouldn't ask you the same question more than once?

The key to dealing with a bureaucracy is constant, even, professional effort. Eventually you will prevail, or you'll know for certain it's time to give up. Rage Against the Machine may be satisfying in the short term but is usually ineffective at anything other than than the satisfaction of venting.

I would sit down, take a breath, cooperate with their requests, and win your fight that way. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.