Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Card Fraud Process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One Credit Card Fraud Process

Hi,

I received two fraudelent charges on my Capital One Card, both the same day. One for $2,000 that was placed at a Home Depot store that was declined. The other charge was for $3,000 and was not flagged as fraudelent by Capital One and was showing as pending in my account activity. I contacted Capital One the same day and was told that I would be sent a new card and that the charge for $3,000 was placed online through Home Depot and not in an actual store. They said they would get back to me after they contacted Home Depot about this charge and go through the investigation. Should I be worried that this charge will be marked as valid even if the transaction was not made by me? Anyone have any similar experiences? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Capital One Credit Card Fraud Process

@Anonymouswrote:

Hi,

I received two fraudelent charges on my Capital One Card, both the same day. One for $2,000 that was placed at a Home Depot store that was declined. The other charge was for $3,000 and was not flagged as fraudelent by Capital One and was showing as pending in my account activity. I contacted Capital One the same day and was told that I would be sent a new card and that the charge for $3,000 was placed online through Home Depot and not in an actual store. They said they would get back to me after they contacted Home Depot about this charge and go through the investigation. Should I be worried that this charge will be marked as valid even if the transaction was not made by me? Anyone have any similar experiences? 

Welcome to the board.

I have removed your post on this from the CC forum as cross posting isnt inline with our TOS and it can lead to confusion by the members. Thanks for your understanding on this. As long as the charge is still pending then there isnt anything to do, if it does post you will then need to dispute its validity as an unauthorized charge not made by you and this should be done in writing. They are shutting down the account so no more can come through and are sending you a new card with account number changes.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The rep I spoke to didn't instill much confidence in me. Are you aware of instances where fraudelent charges that were made online by someone else were marked as valid after the dispute process even if the actual owner of the card disputes this? What ways would I have to prove I did not make the charge in other words?

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymouswrote:

The rep I spoke to didn't instill much confidence in me. Are you aware of instances where fraudelent charges that were made online by someone else were marked as valid after the dispute process even if the actual owner of the card disputes this? What ways would I have to prove I did not make the charge in other words?

This is a card not present transaction so anyone disputing its validity as not made by me nor was anyone else authorized to make the purchase it's the merchant who has to take the loss. You have 60 days from the date of the statement that a fraudulent charge appears on to dispute it, it may take a few months to resolve but there is no way you are going to be made to pay for it in this instance. I know of no one who has had fraudulent charges like this having to pay for them unless they missed the window of opportunity to dispute it.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to add....

Yes merchant may have to take the hit, however if the merchant disputes it themselves

and provides enough evidence, they may not have to take the hit.

Then I suppose the bank may have to ttake the hit, but depends on evidence.

I believe internal bank detective work can sometimes find the culprit and may them take the hit! haha

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.