Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge card and overall utilization

tag
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

Charge card and overall utilization

How is utilization on my charge card (Amex Platinum) factored in to my overall credit utilization?

The charge card has no preset limit and is intended to be paid off a month after the statement closes

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Charge card and overall utilization

@gen-specific wrote:

How is utilization on my charge card (Amex Platinum) factored in to my overall credit utilization?

The charge card has no preset limit and is intended to be paid off a month after the statement closes

FICO doesn't factor in NPSL cards into utilization at all.

Message 2 of 5
601flyguy
Established Contributor

While the balance does show on your report, its not factored into utilization. I have had $20k balances on my charge card and utilization remained at 0%.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Charge cards are not factored into credit utilaztion in regards to the new Fico models. The old ones (which are still used for mortgages) do factor it in. They will use your highst balance as the credit limit. But even the new Fico models will count the balance into overwall utilization.

Message 4 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

As mentioned, most FICO models don't include charge card balances as part of utilization. If your aim is to optimize your score, you don't want your only positive balance on a charge card.

The exception is FICO 98, which includes the Experian mortgage score and its bankcard and auto score counterparts. FICO 98 uses the card's highest balance as the card's "limit" and computes utilization from that. If you think these scores might come into play, you'll want to bring your balance down like you would with any other card.

Aside from utilization, charge cards do count toward one's number of accounts with balances.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.