cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged More For Using Your Credit Card?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Charged More For Using Your Credit Card?

I see this at some gas stations, they have one price that they put up to lure you in and then when you take out your card to pay at the pump, the price for credit is higher. I might be wrong but I think this goes against their agreement with the credit card companys? They aren't supposed to charge more if you use a credit card. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Re: Charged More For Using Your Credit Card?

Message 2 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Purchasing your vehicle license tags or placing over $ 1000. in car repairs or down payment on a new vehicle can result in a surcharge as well in my state. Utility companies call it a convenience fee.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 3 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Gasoline  is not a high profit for gas station owner they make a few cents a gallon. The fees on the credit card can cause the station owner to lose money on the transaction. Some station owners are passing that cost on to you.. The fees charged to the owner are percentage of the sale I think in the 3 to 5% or more.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 8
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

A common trend with gas stations nowadays is have their gas price out on the sign, but in very small print it'll say that the price is for cash only, and that the price for credit cards will be 10 cents more per gallon.

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 5 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

@sakhalin070 wrote:

A common trend with gas stations nowadays is have their gas price out on the sign, but in very small print it'll say that the price is for cash only, and that the price for credit cards will be 10 cents more per gallon.

At that surcharge rate, you need at least a 3% cashback from your card to justify paying with a credit card...

Message 6 of 8
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

If CC surcharges become wide spread, then i wonder if debit cards and prepaid cards will start to make a run to customers?

Nowadays, debit cards and prepaid cards offer a lot of protections and some banks and CUs have cash back debit cards as well.

Instead of cash and CCs that have surcharges, i can see more ppl using debit cards and prepaid cards.  especially the unbanked/underbank.

Message 7 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I had my own business and a merchant account for about 15 years. I automatically figured in about 3% for credit card charges. If someone payed cash, then that was great but there was no discount for it. If someone paid with a credit or debit card, then the fees that I incured were already figured in. It should be the same way with gas stations. Most people use credit/debit now.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.