Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ChexSystems & Debit Card Questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ChexSystems & Debit Card Questions

With all of the breaches lately, and with no current need to apply for credit...   I decided to freeze the 3 normal CB's.  I've seen ChexSystems mentioned on the forum and it seems to be used by financial institutions for new accounts etc.  I tried searching and again saw a few references to it but not much info.  Is this also worth freezing?

I've also read that many people would rather use credit cards instead of debit cards for purchases as they are more protected (I agree).  I looked into an ATM card this morning, but appears there are additional fees involved.  I may have used my debit card twice in the past year for atm withdraw only. in the amount of $40 max.  How does everyone handle there debit cards?  I'm considering just canceling the card to be honest...   but I know as soon as I do I will need some cash.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: ChexSystems & Debit Card Questions

I keep mine round to do cash withdrawals while at small local bars, have had too many friends had issues with there credit card being handed back to the wrong person, or having drinks they  didn't order end up on their tab. So its easier just to grab  $20-40 when I come in, and pay cash the whole night when the cash is gone, its time to head home. DW doesn't drink, so she is my designated driver :-)

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I have a freeze on all three credit reports.  Maybe I should consider ChexSystems too (due to my x's female friends address now showing up on my credit report associated with a recent inquiry.)

I don't use debit cards.  At all.  Period.

I use a cc for gas and situations where I do not have enough cash.

I use cash to pay for food.

Keep the cc and use it once in awhile.  Don't cancel it due to cc breaches.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@IOBA wrote:

I have a freeze on all three credit reports.  Maybe I should consider ChexSystems too (due to my x's female friends address now showing up on my credit report associated with a recent inquiry.)

I don't use debit cards.  At all.  Period.

I use a cc for gas and situations where I do not have enough cash.

I use cash to pay for food.

Keep the cc and use it once in awhile.  Don't cancel it due to cc breaches.

I just recieved my chexsystems report, and it is blank.  (a good thing).  I was also reading about "innovis"  Obviously these are not as well known as the typical 3.  Not sure if I will freeze those or not.

To the bolded, I was contemplating just closing my debit card.  No cc closures.  Sorry for the confusion.

Message 4 of 7
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Ah, gotcha.  I decline debit cards when I open a new account.

And for those that just don't get it, when the debit card arrives, I shred it.  I just don't use them.

I have heard of Innovis and LexisNexis, but cannot work with either of them.  My stupid *** county decided to give everyone a street address.  The post office told them to **** off since they didn't even try to work with them.  For 99.5% of the county, it's not a problem.  They had postal (street mailing) addresses anyway.  But for the .5% of us who NEVER had a postal address cuz the post office REFUSES to create an address for us and refuses to deliver, it's a problem.  A HUGE problem becuase the DMV now requires that (in my case) fake address to be on the driver's license.  

Even the county courthouse looked up the address and refused to register me to vote becuase the address on my DL was fake!  Even though it was the county that issued it.  

Needless to say, it causes endless problems.  UPS, DHL, the post office, and FEDEX wont' deliver since I don't have a real, verifiable address.  Anything sent to the fake street address is returned to sender.

Smiley Frustrated  Such.  A.  Mess.  Near impossible to get any agency/business that requires a verifyable street address to work with me.  So, Innovis and Lexis are just out of reach for right now.  *sigh*

If you have contact info for Checksystems and Innovis, would you please private message me the contact info?  I will try again.  Thank you.

---- as for the utilities, the phone company has a different fake address (they and the 911 dept never agreed what the finer details would be on the address) and the electric company just has a lot number and a zip code.  The legal description is just a lot number and a zip code.  

Lol - I have 2 different house numbers, 5 different street names, and 2 diferrent cities.  And before 911 did their thing, I never had a problem with any company!  They understood rural and post office boxes.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I talked about it earlier.  Today was the day.  No more debit card for me.  If it doesn't work out, I can always get a new one I guess.  Just thought I would leave an update.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maintain a Debit Card to get cash. The bank reduced the point-of-sale and cash/ATM limits (at my request) so as to minimize the potential for fraud. Also I am very careful about where I use the Debit Card. In my area rip offs have occurred in the bars and gas stations so I focus on Bank ATMs.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.