Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CitiBank Multiple Hard Pulls Same Day?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CitiBank Multiple Hard Pulls Same Day?

Hello,

Decided to change my strategy and go to cash back instead of points, figuring the Citi Costco and Citi Double Cash would be a good pair. I already had Citi Costco.

I called Citi and applied for a limit increase on the Costco card after verifying that applying for a limit increase and applying for a new card on the same day would only be one credit pull. I was given a credit limit increase instantly. Then I was transferred to an application representative for the Double Cash card and again I verified that it would use the same credit pull we had just done. I applied and was instantly approved for the card.

Now today I get a notification and check my report to find that Citi made two hard pulls, one yesterday and one today. I'm not even sure why another one would be done since I was already approved?

I called to complain and was told that the representative made a mistake and would be talked to by management and they offered a $30 credit.

What gives? I am certainly not happy with the situation, nor the response, is there anything I can do about it to get this extra hard pull off?

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Re: CitiBank Multiple Hard Pulls Same Day?

What the hell is a $30 credit going to do for you? What you should do is have them contact the credit bureau and remove one of those hard pulls. I dont know if they will do it though. That might just remain on your report for 2 years.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.
After thinking about it more, it just got me more upset. I went to Equifax and filed a dispute, though there was no place for an explanation so not sure where that will go. I also called Citi back and explained I was still not satisfied. The Rep had me in hold a few times while checking with reference material and other people, but ultimately said she put in a ticket with the executive resolution team and to expect a call in 2-3 days.
I realize it's not the worst, but if it at least made sense I could deal with it. This just doesn't even make sense to me.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jawbrkr wrote:

What the hell is a $30 credit going to do for you? What you should do is have them contact the credit bureau and remove one of those hard pulls. I dont know if they will do it though. That might just remain on your report for 2 years.

I don't like extra HP's myself but I think $30 would be enough to buy me out from being mad. Unless OP is looking for a mortgage, anyway.

OP, best of luck getting it removed!

Message 4 of 14
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

It’s only an inq...
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got another alert that I had another HP from Citi. It's now 2 days past when I was approved. That means I had 3 HP on different days for a limit increase and new app in the same day. Why???

Message 6 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sounds crazy to me but unless im mistaken, Citi isnt often one to use 1 hp for 2 different apps like a cli and cc app. Taking a Csr 's word is like taking a grain of salt to the beach. Hope you get this figured out. That 3rd hp would p me off more than the 1st 2 though.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

citi did the same to me two years ago. They hit my credit report 2 times in one day. One for the app and the other , becasue I called in and raised my starting limit. I tried to get the 2nd inq off for months and then just gave up. I hope I am wrong, but I think you are stuck with the inq. Good luck and let us know what happens. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just move on. The good thing about double inquiries in two days is they age off around the same time so there is no extra time waiting for both of them to stop affecting score.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with what others have said. Take the $30 and call it a day. Unless you are about to buy a house an extra pull or two isn't going to be the end of you. I would also pull your full credit report to make sure that alert for the third one isn't just an alert to one of the previous pulls. I had a similar issue the other day when I applied for a discover card. I got an alert for the pull then the next day got an alert for the pull again. When I looked at my reports there was only one pull.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.