cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Close and remove a card from report that's always been in good standing?

tag
creditninja9000
Regular Contributor

Close and remove a card from report that's always been in good standing?

So, I did a silly thing. I open a card I reeeeeally reeeeeally didn't need and I totally regret it now. The reward seemed nice but utlimately isn't really that much better than what I get through Navy Fed Flagship rewards and Alliant Signature Visa.

It comes 6 or 7 years after my last opened card and 15 years after my first. I don't want this to skew my AAOA, is it possible to close it and get it removed from my reports altogether? It's always been in good standing and has only been open since April.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Close and remove a card from report that's always been in good standing?

If you close it, it will remain on the CRAs for up to 10 years and shouldn't impact your AAoA, until it drops from your reports.

Unfortunately, the account wouldn't be removed once you close it.
Message 2 of 6
creditninja9000
Regular Contributor

I guess my question is more about is it possible to ask for removal.

I read often about people getting negative accounts removed. Has this ever happened for good accounts open in a short time.... asking for their removal?

Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Nope, sorry. Accounts in good standing typically remain on your reports for such period.

While it's understandable you changed your mind (e.g. app remorse), some banks can do so in extenuating circumstances within a few days of being approved. Not months or a year afterwards.
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can request the creditor to report deletion, but not the CRA.

The CRAs are in business to sell credit reports, and consider completeness of credit histories that they offer to be important.  Thus, they will not grant subjective removal of accurate account histories.

Some creditors will delete closed accounts with no balance in order to simplify their reporting and to remove any possible disputes over accuracy of previously reported information or to remove continued communications pertaining to good-will deletions.

Message 5 of 6
zerofire
Valued Contributor

If you do not like the credit line any more any lender will happily close it for you as long as the remainder due is $0. Once the account is closed then it will stay on your reports with negative info removed after 7yr and positive info after 10yr. The positive info can also report for longer than the 10yr based on willingness of the lender or can be removed early if the lender wants.

I know I have had two accounts that got closed in my life. The older account is still reporting even though the company that originally requested it is out of business but Citi still reports it dutifully. The newer account was from a local gas station at the time and a mistake by me.  First National Bank of Omaha issued it and a little after I applied for my Ducks Unlimited card, my second card from them, they decided that they did not want to report the old account anymore dropping it. Thankfully no points were lost.

The CRA's will not help you in this. Either the lender removes it when they want to early or at the 10yr mark. Now you can always contact the lender and request early removal but it is completely dependent on what they want to do. They might honor your request or they might honor truth and accuracy.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.