Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Accounts

tag
Flooded_Genesis
Valued Member

Closed Accounts

So, I recently closed five low limit cc's within a the last 30 days. The oldest accounts about 3 years old (USAA Secured Visa $250), however, I have now started seeing a CS drop as they are being reported to the CRA's. In the past two weeks, I've seen a drop of about 20-30 points and it may drop more depending on when the last cc is reported which the USAA previously mentioned. 

How long does it take for scores to bounce back from something like this? I thought it would have been a good idea initally to close all of them at the same time rather than stagger them. Take the hit one time and be done with it, rather than see a hit every other month or so... If that makes sense! 

I would love some feedback on this because I think I may have screwed up my chances at getting a home loan...

https://imgur.com/rYu2gic
8 REPLIES 8
rostrow416
Established Contributor

Re: Closed Accounts

Is the drop your actual FICO score or is a VantageScore?   I know VantageScore usually dropped when I closed accounts since they get taken out of the scoring system, but my FICO scores never were affected like that since the accounts remain on record for 10 years 

AMEX Gold | Purdue FCU $20,000 | FNBO Evergreen $15,000 | TFCU Plat Visa $15,000 | PenFed Platinum Rewards $15,000 | PenFed Pathfinder $15,000 | Citizen's Bank Cash Back+ $15,000 | Synchrony Premier MC $10,000 | SG Visa $10,000 | NFCU MoreRewards $7,000 | NFCU cashRewards $17,000 | Discover IT $6,000 | Capital One BuyPower $950 | AMEX BCP $5,000 | AMEX Amazon Prime Business $3,000

B&H Payboo Card $15,000 | Amazon Prime Card $10,000 | PC Richard Card $15,000 | Target RedCard $2,000 | Walmart Store Card $1,400 | Shell Gas Card $1,200 | Overstock Store Card $7,000 | Kohl's Store Card $3,000

Spring Cleaning:
C̶a̶p̶i̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶Q̶u̶i̶c̶k̶S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶0̶0̶0̶ | C̶r̶e̶d̶i̶t̶ ̶O̶n̶e̶ ̶V̶i̶s̶a̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶2̶0̶0̶ | M̶e̶r̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶B̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶$̶2̶,̶7̶0̶0̶ | M̶a̶r̶v̶e̶l̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶̶2̶0̶0̶ | C̶o̶m̶e̶n̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶M̶a̶s̶t̶e̶r̶C̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶$̶1̶,̶1̶8̶0̶
Message 2 of 9
Flooded_Genesis
Valued Member

I've been seeing my FICO drop. I received another notification today of a 6 point drop on my EQ CR.

Message 3 of 9
NYC_Fella
Frequent Contributor

@Flooded_Genesis wrote:

I've been seeing my FICO drop. I received another notification today of a 6 point drop on my EQ CR.

Unless the closed accounts had large CLs in relation to your total available credit, there should be little to no effect. Other factors are likely affecting your scores. 

Message 4 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

How many cards do you have left and whats your aggregate util % now?

Message 5 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Flooded_Genesis wrote:

So, I recently closed five low limit cc's within a the last 30 days. The oldest accounts about 3 years old (USAA Secured Visa $250), however, I have now started seeing a CS drop as they are being reported to the CRA's. In the past two weeks, I've seen a drop of about 20-30 points and it may drop more depending on when the last cc is reported which the USAA previously mentioned. 

How long does it take for scores to bounce back from something like this? I thought it would have been a good idea initally to close all of them at the same time rather than stagger them. Take the hit one time and be done with it, rather than see a hit every other month or so... If that makes sense! 

I would love some feedback on this because I think I may have screwed up my chances at getting a home loan...

Possibly you're losing points for (a) increased utilization percentage, and/or (b) lower percentage of zero balance accounts.  If you get your utilization down, and keep as many accounts as possible reporting zero balances (except that you need one to report a small balance each month), your scores should pick up right away.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 9
Flooded_Genesis
Valued Member

Even with closing those accounts my UTL was still at or around 16% and I only have two cards right now with balances which makes up the 16%. I have no derogs or inquiries and I can't seem to find why its' dropping.

Message 7 of 9
Flooded_Genesis
Valued Member

I still have 12 cards with a UTL % of 16. Prior to closing those accounts I was at 23% but I made some payments prior to closing to get my UTL under 20%.

Message 8 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

When you closed those cards. The credit limit on them combined was part of your overall credit line. Once closed they no longer are equated into your overall util %'s. So your util % may have gone up by losing the total CL's amount you closed and scores went down. So get under <8% reporting and you may get those points back.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.