Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing a credit card..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing a credit card..

If for example... You have 2 cards card#1 is 17 yrs. old
card#2 is 9 yrs. old. Can you close #2 card without causing a dip? I have other cards that end up still making the DTI ratio still the same they are just newer
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Closing a credit card..

In this scenario card #2 will still report to the bureaus for up to 10 years if closed so it will be fine if you decide you don't want that card any longer. Card #1 I would keep open at all possible.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh good I hate card# 2 😁
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If for example... You have 2 cards card#1 is 17 yrs. old
card#2 is 9 yrs. old. Can you close #2 card without causing a dip? I have other cards that end up still making the DTI ratio still the same they are just newer

I assume that you mean utilization.  DTI means something different and would only include your minimum monthly payments due on your credit cards along with other debt obligations, divided by your income.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I used the wrong word utilization is what I meant
Message 5 of 6
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

You say you have other cards. These will grow 10 years older, granted you keep them, before you ever see the 'dip' of card #2. Which, by then, shouldn't be much of an impact and that's not considering any other positive changes throughout the next decade. So cancel away. I have. Others have. Life goes on 🤷🏽‍♂️

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.