Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CoSign - what happens after death?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CoSign - what happens after death?

What happens when a co-signor signs to help you get a CC, and he or she dies, will she still remain on the card, or will the issuing bank remove said person 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DONZI
Established Contributor

Re: CoSign - what happens after death?

Got a specific card you can name?  Maybe the terms and agreements are online.

I've seen such things covered within the legal documents IIRC. That would maybe clarify some of what to expect.

The deceased won't be removed, I'd imagine, without someone sending a certificate of death. If that happens maybe the card will be transitioned to your name only, maybe it will be closed.. My guess is that the issuer will have reserved the final say on what happens after consideration of their legal docs and those of the state regarding death, debt, and all that remains of the deceased's lifetime.

If they had end of life documents (trust, will, etc) those may come into play also.

Hopefully the card will ultimately become your responsibility alone without complications.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 2 of 7
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I'll do some digging but there was someone here who was AU on a Discover card and when the account holder passed they transferred ownership to the AU.  Was it you @SoCalGardener ? I can't remember. 

Message 3 of 7
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What happens when a co-signor signs to help you get a CC, and he or she dies, will she still remain on the card, or will the issuing bank remove said person 

This is really a question for the card issuer and the cardholders' and the estate's attorneys to answer.  Each issuer will have their own policies to follow based on legal intepretation of the relevant laws and the specifics of the related card agreement, and while one of the typical duties of an executor is to notify creditors and settle the deceased's final debts this is possibly a senario where the cardholder has a legal responsibilty to notify the issuer of the cosigners death. 

Feedback given on forums other than possibly from an attorney with relevent expertise (and which I am not) is really going to be speculative at best.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Yes, it was me--I 'inherited' my mom's Discover card when she died. However...

We were not co-signers on the account. It was *her* account, which I had nothing to do with, not even as an AU. After she died, I called Discover to inform them and find out what paperwork they needed to make her death official, and to close the account and send me the final statement. It was at that point that the CSR asked me if I'd like to transfer the card to my name...

I'm no attorney, but I'm pretty sure deceased people cannot remain on debts, so for the OP's situation, the deceased will have to be removed as a co-signer. And I don't think you can get around that by not notifying them--they have ways of finding out. Companies I never even contacted [because I knew they were not important, like creditors would be] wrote expressing their condolences and telling me my mom had been removed from....whatever it was. The SS death index has something to do with this.

My suggestion to the OP is to contact the creditor ASAP and inform them of the co-signer's death. Find out what their protocol is and go from there. Hopefully, this won't result in closure of the account, but, again, don't mistakenly think you can skirt this by not contacting them, because they *will* eventually find out, and then you could be in trouble.

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 5 of 7
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Wow!! It was you @SoCalGardener ... my memory hasn't worked that well in 30 years 🤣

Message 6 of 7
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@805orbust wrote:

Wow!! It was you @SoCalGardener ... my memory hasn't worked that well in 30 years 🤣

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy *nods knowingly* Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.