Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection Agency- Reporting Same Collection as New Weekly

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Agency- Reporting Same Collection as New Weekly

Hello, any advice on what action I should take. L J Ross and Associates are not only starting to report a medical bill that is past the statue of limitations, it is in dispute and they have not sent any verifying information. Instead they report it as a new collection EVERY WEEK. Like clock work since 5.6 they report the same collection. What action can I take or what can I do? This seems illegal.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Collection Agency- Reporting Same Collection as New Weekly

When you state that they are reporting a new collection, what/how exactly is the new reporting?

Updating prior reporting is proper, though not usually weekly, and is not the reporting of a "new collection."

How is it "new"?

More info is needed......

Message 2 of 6
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous I believe each state has its own statute of limitations on debt -and- vary depending on the type of debt you have . . . I'm in Texas -and- our statute of limitations on debt is four years. 

I'm certainly no expert on credit and can only speak from personal experiences -but- perhaps one of our long-term posters (that I follow) can advise:

@Remedios , @AllZero , @UncleB @M_Smart007 , @Anonymous . Thanks all.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 3 of 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, any advice on what action I should take. L J Ross and Associates are not only starting to report a medical bill that is past the statue of limitations, it is in dispute and they have not sent any verifying information. Instead they report it as a new collection EVERY WEEK. Like clock work since 5.6 they report the same collection. What action can I take or what can I do? This seems illegal.

Are you really talking about statue of limitations or are you talking about the period of time during which negative items remain on your CR? 

Those two aren't synonymous. 

Message 4 of 6
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The debt being beyond the SOL for lawsuit doesn't mean they cannot report.  If you sent DV based on the trade line reporting they are not required to respond.  The FDCPA only requires they respond if you dispute within 30 days of their first contact with you and the courts have ruled a trade line is not contact with the consumer.  What did you ask for as verifying?  Much of what you see on the internet is riddled with errors.  They are only required to verify the provider (since it is medical), date of service, and the amount you owe.  Anything else they can ignore and not be in violation.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Are these additional collections accounts on your credit or they are removing and replacing the same one?

I had a creditor (student loans) that did this for a period of time, but daily! They would remove and replace the 6 accounts daily. It was very annoying, but not illegal. It was not additional collection accounts and it does not matter that it is outside the SOL. It mattered that it was still within the 7 years reporting window. SOL for me was 4 years, but that does not change that the accounts can still be reported for 7 years.

The account open date also does not matter. While it does make the collection seem more recent than when it first became delinquent, it does not "reage" the debt another 7 years. That is still based on the DoFD.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.