Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection/Chargeoff

tag
gwennieb
Established Member

Collection/Chargeoff

I have recently sent validation letters out to accounts reporting on my credit report by ca not the original creditor. I noticed today that all of the accounts have been changed to collection/chargeoff. Can they do this ?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Collection/Chargeoff

Patience there Gwen.  You will get an answer in due course.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt collector had reported to a CRA, then their reporting is a collection.

What is meant by they changed their reporting to a collection?

As for your DV letter, when did the debt collector send you dunning notice?

Message 3 of 5
gwennieb
Established Member

Prior to me sending DV letter to them they accounts reported as collection accounts under collections on my credit report. I sent out DV letters and received nothing really from any of them. One company sent me a itemized list of services which was a different date then what is reporting, the others sent nothing.  When I looked at my TU credit report yesterday they are now listing as collection/chargeoff. I thought only the OC could chargeoff.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Any collection is, by definition, on a delinquent debt until the debt is discharged.

Debt collectors can report the current status.  A charge-off is one of the accepted current delinquency status codes provided by the CRAs for use by either creditors or debt collectors.

Yes, a debt collector can report that a debt has been subject to a charge-off by the creditor as its current delinquency status.

A DV request, even if timely, does not impose any period for or requirment to send any validation.

If a debt collector has not sent validation and your DV was timely, the effect is that they remain under a cease collection bar until they choose to send validation.  They can choose to never send validation and simply cease further collection activities, such as sending letters or making calls.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.