Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I pay 2, 6 year old charge offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I pay 2, 6 year old charge offs

I have 2 charge offs. One is a Capitol 1 for $600 & the other is a utility bill for $300. According to my credit report the last activity date is 1/13. My question is will they fall off at 7 or 7.5 yrs? My scores right now are ex-676, tu-697, eq-680. Any thoughts?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
rbentley
Established Contributor

Re: Should I pay 2, 6 year old charge offs

I would pay them.  The amounts are low and it is the ethical thing to do. I am assuming they are valid debts or you would have said otherwise. I would contact them and see if they will agree to PFD.  I think the utility likely would.  You could be sued on either of these, assuming the SOL in your State hasn't run on them.  It is 8 years in mine. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree about paying them because its the right thing to do. My problem is I don't want to restart the clock. Or maybe I misunderstand the rule. They are valid. I live in Texas and from what I can tell the SOL is 4 years.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Credit report exclusion of either a collection or charge-off is based ONLY on the reported date of first delinquency on the account with the original creditor.  Use of a single, date-certain to define the begin of the exclusion period was added to the FCRA back in the 90's to clearly establish that no other date, such as the date of payment of a debt, the date of reporting of a collection or charge-off, of the expiration of the state statute of limitations on civil action, has any relevance to when the charge-off or collection must become excluded.

There are no conditions under which the exclusion of a charge-off or collection is extended based on any action of the consumer or the debt collector.

FCRA 605(C).

More specifically, no collection or charge-off can continue to be included in any credit report provided by a CRA after a maximum date of 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

The CRAs choose to exclude at approx 7 years from the DOFD, which is the expected, actual exclusion date that is provided in many commercial credit reports.  However, the CRA does not become in violation until the full 7 years plus 180 days has expired.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.