cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collection - Medical Debt from 2019 (updated 02.01.2022)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection - Medical Debt from 2019 (updated 02.01.2022)

I received a notification on Feb 1, 2022 that a change had occurred to my TU and EQ credit reports.  

After logging into each of the applicable CRA's site, I discovered an old medical debt that was assigned to a collection company in August 2019 for a claim that originated from service rendered on 06.21.19 had been updated on said date.  Each credit report coincidentally noted that the balance had been updated on the referenced date with a sizeable ding to each credit score.

Before asking any questions, consider the following additional info:

• The medical claim was initially submitted for reimbursement to my auto insurance per my personal injury protection benefits coverage as the services rendered related to an auto accident.
  • I was hospitalized for thirty-seven (37) days due to the injuries i suffered in the accident.
  • My mother forwarded the auto insurance info as well as my primary healthcare info to the medical provider while i was hospitalized.
  • All other medical bills/claims were settled without issue (totalling close to $500k).
  • I never received an initial bill directly from the medical provider (original creditor).
  • The original creditor provided professional services (X-rays).
  • Facility charges settled in full by health insurance via separate billing (i.e. facility billed through another billing company).
  • I was copied on a letter dated 07.15.19 from my auto insurance provider to the medical provider wherein my auto insurance carrier noted the claim referenced was denied due to no diagnosis or ICD code(s) being submitted with the medical provider's bill.
  • I then received a ltter dated 08.06.19 from my auto insurance carrier that my personal injury protection benefits limits had been exhausted in full with the final payment made on 08.06.19.
  • The debt collector (DC) called me on Christmas Eve and on Christmas of that year in an attempt to collect on the amount of the bill ($1,400).  I requested additional information and received a statement from them dated 08.20.19 stating that they were working with the business office of the original creditor in an attempt to bring all of their patient accounts up to date.  The statement further stated that my account was past due but not currently in collections (again, this was letter dated 08.20.19 that i never received at my home address, which was the noted address on the letter/statement).
  • I advised the debt collector that i was on disability and not able to pay the bill.  
  • I also informed the debt collector i was not responsible for the related debt as the bill had not been properly submitted to my auto insurance provider as detailed above.

Questions/Issues:

1. The balance reported remained unchanged ($1,400)...was this an attempt to re-age the debt/collection and, thus, extend the SOL?
  2. Is the debt collector allowed to report a change to the account if there was in fact no change to the account (balance or otherwise)?
  3. How should i dispute this issue with the CRAs (or is it not disputable)?  
  4. What should i cite as the reason for disputing the account?
  5. Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance and insight.

2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Collection - Medical Debt from 2019 (updated 02.01.2022)

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a notification on Feb 1, 2022 that a change had occurred to my TU and EQ credit reports.  

After logging into each of the applicable CRA's site, I discovered an old medical debt that was assigned to a collection company in August 2019 for a claim that originated from service rendered on 06.21.19 had been updated on said date.  Each credit report coincidentally noted that the balance had been updated on the referenced date with a sizeable ding to each credit score.

Before asking any questions, consider the following additional info:

• The medical claim was initially submitted for reimbursement to my auto insurance per my personal injury protection benefits coverage as the services rendered related to an auto accident.
  • I was hospitalized for thirty-seven (37) days due to the injuries i suffered in the accident.
  • My mother forwarded the auto insurance info as well as my primary healthcare info to the medical provider while i was hospitalized.
  • All other medical bills/claims were settled without issue (totalling close to $500k).
  • I never received an initial bill directly from the medical provider (original creditor).
  • The original creditor provided professional services (X-rays).
  • Facility charges settled in full by health insurance via separate billing (i.e. facility billed through another billing company).
  • I was copied on a letter dated 07.15.19 from my auto insurance provider to the medical provider wherein my auto insurance carrier noted the claim referenced was denied due to no diagnosis or ICD code(s) being submitted with the medical provider's bill.
  • I then received a ltter dated 08.06.19 from my auto insurance carrier that my personal injury protection benefits limits had been exhausted in full with the final payment made on 08.06.19.
  • The debt collector (DC) called me on Christmas Eve and on Christmas of that year in an attempt to collect on the amount of the bill ($1,400).  I requested additional information and received a statement from them dated 08.20.19 stating that they were working with the business office of the original creditor in an attempt to bring all of their patient accounts up to date.  The statement further stated that my account was past due but not currently in collections (again, this was letter dated 08.20.19 that i never received at my home address, which was the noted address on the letter/statement).
  • I advised the debt collector that i was on disability and not able to pay the bill.  
  • I also informed the debt collector i was not responsible for the related debt as the bill had not been properly submitted to my auto insurance provider as detailed above.

Questions/Issues:

1. The balance reported remained unchanged ($1,400)...was this an attempt to re-age the debt/collection and, thus, extend the SOL?
  2. Is the debt collector allowed to report a change to the account if there was in fact no change to the account (balance or otherwise)?
  3. How should i dispute this issue with the CRAs (or is it not disputable)?  
  4. What should i cite as the reason for disputing the account?
  5. Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance and insight.

The update is what got you scorewise. "

"I was copied on a letter dated 07.15.19 from my auto insurance provider to the medical provider wherein my auto insurance carrier noted the claim referenced was denied due to no diagnosis or ICD code(s) being submitted with the medical provider's bill." You may call them and have them re-submit from the info you gave here.

On the other hand all coverage has been exhausted and it may not go anywhere. If its SSID they cant sue you. Although $1400 out of $500k on your end is cheap. I'm no lawyer obviously. Only insurance I know of that pays for everything is military and Tricare. Insurance compainies will find anything not to pay as we all know. Maybe someone else will chime in. Didnt want to see your question un-answered. Thats all.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Collection - Medical Debt from 2019 (updated 02.01.2022)

thanks for the response...i can attest that insurance companies pay the bare minimum after spending couple hours on the phone with them today

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.