Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comcast Hard Pull!! What the??

tag
vollybal
Regular Contributor

Comcast Hard Pull!! What the??

So We are moving cross country and setting up everything for the move date when I get an alert that Comcast has Hard Pulled my credit...What is up with that...I never heard them running hard pulls before and I have had all different cable service providers before and they never pulled my credit other than a soft pull. Man I wish they did not as I am trying to keep inquiries down as in Oct. The last major badly in falling off the CR and Then I will be going after prime...Ok enough ranting. have a good day!!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Comcast Hard Pull!! What the??

If you did not authorize it, I would totally call comcast and see if they can remove it from reporting to the bureaus.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 19
tcbofade
Super Contributor

I think that times are changing...

Last December, we transfered our cell service from my wifes name to my name...same provider...ATT...hard pull.  Smiley Sad

02/01/24 Fico 8: EX 757, EQ 803, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 760 12/16/23, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 19
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Pretty much everyone hard pulls these days, cable, mobile, car rental companies, etc. Even HSN, ShopNBC will HP if you use their payment options for a large purchase. So now I have all three frozen, which requires them to gain my consent for a HP. Just freeze them, best thing I ever did.

Message 4 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto. If you open a checking acct, a savings account, a brokerage account, join a CU, get cable, get a new cell, get a security service like ADT, get a new phone number, get satellite TV, do business with certain utilities, and many others, expect a HP.

Message 5 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yep, most Cable providers will do a credit check before allowing you to have service, and they will usually inform you when you sign up that they will be pulling your credit.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Time Warner HP me last year after I was told it was soft... I have talked to Executive office before stating there is nothing they need to see that they can't get from a soft pull... They now offer Automatic Billing to a credit card if you would like to avoid the HP... I'm hoping the work being put in by Suze Orman and others to get the scoring modeling of Fico Changed will include INQ... I don't believe they should be part of ANY scoring...

Message 7 of 19
spengbab
Regular Contributor

When I switched to Verizon, Verizon performed a hard pull to my credit. I can understand for phone service, but cable? 

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 8 of 19
MarcinXP
Frequent Contributor

Cable companies are definitely doing HPs now. Since the world of Triple Play services along with advanced equipment like HD and DVRs they want to know what you credit looks like...ask if you can avoid a HP with Comcast...I was told that if I did not want to have my credit checked that I need to pay a deposit which is refundable after a year of good service or when I disconnect. Also if your score is not good enough they want to get a deposit as well..so its Prepay or HP..seems logical as I read somewhere that utlities and cellphone companies writeoffs are through the roof.

NFCU Visa Sig $30k / Amex Blue Cash $25.5k / Fidelity Amex $25k / Chase Freedom $14.5k / Citi Double Cash $5k / Capital One Quicksilver Visa Sig $5k / Citi Best Buy MC $3K / Barclay Rewards MC $2.95k / BOA - BBR $2.5k / SY Lowes $15k / SY Amazon $6k / Target RedCard - $300
Message 9 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@MarcinXP wrote:

Cable companies are definitely doing HPs now. Since the world of Triple Play services along with advanced equipment like HD and DVRs they want to know what you credit looks like...ask if you can avoid a HP with Comcast...I was told that if I did not want to have my credit checked that I need to pay a deposit which is refundable after a year of good service or when I disconnect. Also if your score is not good enough they want to get a deposit as well..so its Prepay or HP..seems logical as I read somewhere that utlities and cellphone companies writeoffs are through the roof.

You possibly can get me to feel bad about the huge writeoffs if it was cable because like me cable right now I have Signature Service which is whole home DVR x2 and another box and the highest interenet which gets it's own new box and phone, also another box and if they gave me just 3 months before cutting service off and then also didn't get equipment back it would be in the $800ish for service and who knows boxes... but stil I feel that can all be done with a soft.

Phone I know people don't pay all the time but unless it happens in like 2 months, I just don't htink they are loosing money....

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.