Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Confused

I've had two student loans for 20 years just recently paid off. My scores dropped 15 points and it indicates account closed and apparently the length of my credit history was impacted. The loans still appear in my reports. Anyone know why the scores would drop when paid off and history length shorten?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Confused

Do you have an auto or home loan? If these were your only installment loans that could explain the drop.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didn't think about that, truck is paid off and trying to get a mortgage. This score drop didn't help. Thanks for your reply.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're dealing with a broker, they might appreciate the fact that your loans are paid off and your DTI is down even though it resulted in the score shift.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even though it's paid do you know why I lose the history so to speak? I've had the account for 20 years. I'd figure it would still be beneficial with length of credit history even paid off.
Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've had two student loans for 20 years just recently paid off. My scores dropped 15 points and it indicates account closed and apparently the length of my credit history was impacted. The loans still appear in my reports. Anyone know why the scores would drop when paid off and history length shorten?

The FICO 8 algorithm penalizes you for having no open installment loans.

But it is not clear that the Auto and Mortgage scores react in a similar way. So you should pull your full 3B report to see what the reality is for your scoring.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's good to know, I'll do that thanks!
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied for my mortgage my fico8 scores were a good bit lower than my mortgage scores (15-20pts). I had no open installment loans at the time only 3 closed student loans. Not sure if this is any indication mortgage scores are penalized less for not having any open installment loans but it seems plausible. I'm kinda curious how your scores compare. I have a hunch length of history is really important for mortgages scores (makes sense 30yrs is a long time), you having 20yr old loan history may be the biggest help. As SouthJamaica suggested pull your 3B report and see where you stand.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What credit monitoring tool were you using that indicated that your length of credit history was shortened?  Was it Credit Karma?  Karma's front end interface (its "summary" page) ignores closed accounts in its age related factors, but no FICO model does this.  From FICO's perspective, your age of oldest account has not changed -- it's still your student loan (if that was your oldest account when it was open).  Your average age of accounts (AAoA) has not changed either.

If you were using Karma, then the age information you got was wrong, and the scores you describe were also worthless, since they were not FICO scores.

If you are on a budget and want a cheaper alternative to pulling a $60 myFICO report, you could sign up for the $1 trial at Credit Check Total.  That will give you your three FICO 8 Classic scores and a nice reliable 3B report.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.