cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Consumer Finance Account - Question...

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Consumer Finance Account - Question...

@JVille wrote:
Just an FYI our Car Loan is with GM (that’s General Motors folks) we took that loan for our new Escalade 5 yrs ZERO Interest. What’s not to love right? Wrong the bad news is it’s considered a Finance Company yep sure bet they finance Cars!
My hubbies 850 Mtg Scores went into the 790’s and mine into the 740’s we are being dinged for Consumer Finance Account and Utilization on that acct. Other than our Mtg Ln and this car loan we pay everything off each month except leave a $50 balance on one card. Oldest account 45 Years, average age of accts 12 yrs.

This GM Loan being treated as a Finance Co rather than a car loan just really pisses me off!

Is the GM financing reporting as consumer finance on all 3 CRAs, or just one? If it's just 1 CRA you might be able to dispute it, tell them it's a car loan, not consumer finance. But if all 3 CRAs have it that way then that must be how GM reports it.

Message 11 of 24
JVille
Valued Contributor

😂😂😂😂 All 3 and they actually calculate utilization based on original loan balance vs current balance. While this is a term loan and not a LOC. Just pisses me off and there is nothing you can do about it. Smiley Sad
Message 12 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@JVille wrote:
😂😂😂😂 All 3 and they actually calculate utilization based on original loan balance vs current balance. While this is a term loan and not a LOC. Just pisses me off and there is nothing you can do about it. Smiley Sad

There's no direct way to tell what's a CFA unless you've ruled everything else out or you have an oddity like I do that it only reported to two bureaus and the third has never ever complained of CFA-anything.

That's strange that GM financial is tagged as a CFA, auto loans are term loans, that just means there's a planned end-date.  Amex charge cards report like that too.  Did that reason code only show up after you picked up the loan?  I wouldn't have thought they were flagged as such but I can sort of see captive lender financing maybe showing up as that.  

I think someone was talking Honda Financial being a CFA too recently?

I guess that's one more reason to add to the growing list of: always sort your auto loan out with a CU first.

Oh look at that, 4 more years till my CFA drops off Smiley Happy

        
Message 13 of 24
JVille
Valued Contributor

This didn’t show up prior to getting the new car. We have 2 mortgages, a HELOC and a handful of Credit cards all with zero balance except one with $50 to $100. Have historically had 850 Mtg Fico (hubby) and I have 2 - 30 day lates from nearly 4 yrs ago. Because of those stupid lates I have been well aware of our Mtg Scores as I was a LO and UW for nearly 30 yrs. in the Old days when getting a Mtg was simply Income, Capacity and Credit. Before Fico, but I remember when it all started.
Nope this Consumer Finance thing started with our 60 Month, Zero Interest Car Loan from GM 😡

And yes ALL 3 Bureaus!
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@JVille wrote:

There's no direct way to tell what's a CFA unless you've ruled everything else out or you have an oddity like I do that it only reported to two bureaus and the third has never ever complained of CFA-anything.

That's strange that GM financial is tagged as a CFA, auto loans are term loans, that just means there's a planned end-date.  Amex charge cards report like that too.  Did that reason code only show up after you picked up the loan?  I wouldn't have thought they were flagged as such but I can sort of see captive lender financing maybe showing up as that.  

I guess that's one more reason to add to the growing list of: always sort your auto loan out with a CU first.

A good reason why I'd never take out a car loan through a manufacturer's finance agency, but always line up the financing first with an installment loan (as I did with Penfed last year).

Message 15 of 24
JVille
Valued Contributor

Well in this case it was a brand new Escalade and Zero Interest is worth the hit. I’m just irritated and being pissy about something I can’t control. Of course all this happened just prior to purchasing a home. We planned on the car but had not planned on buying a house and getting a Mtg 🙄
Thanks for listening to me vent!
Message 16 of 24
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@JVille wrote:

Revelate...It was me that reported that American Honda Financial is reported as a CFA. It was given specifically as one of the reasons my mortgage scores were not higher in a 3b pull. It came as a shock to me, since I avoid CFA like the plague. Bad thing is, after financing a goldwing with them, I checked the rates at my CU the next day, and finding them lower refinanced it with my CU, so I only had it financed with American Honda Financial for 1 day. The existance of that CFA stays on a report for 10 years. I think the word financial in the name might be a key. Car manufacturers obviously create CFA's in order to get those who have less favorable credit can be approved for dealer financing. If it was a bank it would be subjected to more stringent banking regulations, so likely could not approve some of those. Their main motivation is to sell their cars. So, in final analysis...I now would avoid dealer arranged financing like the plague  also.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 17 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Wow thanks all; yeah, apparently dealer financing isn't worth it at all unless the interest rate is non-trivially superior (patently unlikely in the extreme in the current market and current CU secured financing rates).

        
Message 18 of 24
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Wow thanks all; yeah, apparently dealer financing isn't worth it at all unless the interest rate is non-trivially superior (patently unlikely in the extreme in the current market and current CU secured financing rates).

I actually financed a vehicle for my Neice, who makes the payments, for 1.75% interest rate at a credit union. That is pretty low interest.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 19 of 24
JVille
Valued Contributor

ZERO interest is better which is the only reason why we did it.
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.