Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Fraud/Account Hacked

tag
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Costco Fraud/Account Hacked

@ambivalent  I would not worry that much over the zero dollar pending charge. When you make a debit or credit card charge the merchant will send a pending charge notice/ request  to the credit card company  or bank. This  usually was the dollar amount of the charge. Sometimes but NOT ALLL due to system / user error you will see a zero dollar pending charge.  Pending charge will not stay pending for a very long time time usually a day maybe two at most before the the charge is posted to the account. The exception is on the weekend ofr pending charges.

All that said, the part of your post that concerned me the most was that email. The threat to sell that information would most likley would have been sold on Dark Web ( I have post on Dark Web on the forum). If it makes there look out. If the '"seller" has your email address and a card number what else does the "seller" have is a concerning question. I would lock credit cards and credit reports. Change passwords where possible. Those that do business on Dark Web have zero ethics they are about  $$$ only.

Here is an example of fraud that I would associate to Dark Web. There are more than this one that happen but this happened to get  the media's attention. There are plenty more that do not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/scammers-steal-dollar34000-from-tulare-womans-wells-fargo-bank-... 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 11 of 14
ambivalent
Established Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

@ambivalent  I would not worry that much over the zero dollar pending charge. When you make a debit or credit card charge the merchant will send a pending charge notice/ request  to the credit card company  or bank. This  usually was the dollar amount of the charge. Sometimes but NOT ALLL due to system / user error you will see a zero dollar pending charge.  Pending charge will not stay pending for a very long time time usually a day maybe two at most before the the charge is posted to the account. The exception is on the weekend ofr pending charges.

All that said, the part of your post that concerned me the most was that email. The threat to sell that information would most likley would have been sold on Dark Web ( I have post on Dark Web on the forum). If it makes there look out. If the '"seller" has your email address and a card number what else does the "seller" have is a concerning question. I would lock credit cards and credit reports. Change passwords where possible. Those that do business on Dark Web have zero ethics they are about  $$$ only.

Here is an example of fraud that I would associate to Dark Web. There are more than this one that happen but this happened to get  the media's attention. There are plenty more that do not.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/scammers-steal-dollar34000-from-tulare-womans-wells-fargo-bank-... 

The thing is that I hadn't used the card, so nothing should be pending. I have no recurring charges on it. It is my most frequently used card because of the 2.5% cash back, but I haven't used it in the two weeks since I made my Costco purchase. 

I have changed my passwords. I am forgetful (especially when you need 8-500 characters, 2 numbers, a capital, 5 special characters, no same two characters in a row, etc etc...), so they get changed often.  I will take your advice and lock my reports. I requested a new USAA card and will also request a new NFCU card. The address they noted is old, so the zip codes wouldn't match, but IDK how these scammers work.  Thank you for your input!

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 12 of 14
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

@ambivalentThank you for information. I was under the impression this was a card you were actively using. I was wrong. Here is another possible source of a problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID_skimming 

Not saying this what happened to you. But just something to be aware. I am glad you getting new cards. 

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 13 of 14
Rex95
New Contributor

Apparently someone hacked my Costco account yesterday and bought an item to be shipped to Florida for a couple hundred dollars. Just noticed the charge on my Chase credit card today, and I never received an order confirmation email from Costco.

Scores - EX: 808, TU: 803, EQ: 806
Chase Sapphire Preferred - $15,000
United Quest - $15,000
United Gateway - $7,600
Amex Gold - $18,300 POT
Amex BCE - $20,200
Amex/Schwab Investor Card - $11,500
PayPal Credit - $2,500
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.