Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score

1- why does my credit score go up and down every month even when there are no changes in my credit report?

2- The credit balance on one of my credit cards increased by $200, my credit score dropped by 16 points. Why is that?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Score

Hi Ricardo, welcome to the forums!

1. From where are you getting your scores?

2. Changes in utilization (card balances) can affect your scores but we cannot determine exactly why you had such a drop without a complete picture: we need your credit limit for this card with the $200 balance, as well as the limits & balances for any other cards you have.

Also, even if not obvious, your credit is always changing. Creditors update your accounts every month, items age, inquiries fall off, etc., and all of these changes can impact your scores.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 4
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Scores vary monthly. 

Each Fico has different formulas.

The older and more consistant your file is, the more consistant your score will be.

Just do what is financially sound and you will be fine.

One mistake people make is letting a $0 balance report on all cards.

Let at least one report a balance of at least $25-50.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Let at least one report a balance of at least $25-50.

For an optimal score, I'd suggest at least $5 but not much more. The reason for the $5 minimum is that most banks will excuse small balances rather than bothering to bill you. It may be $1 at Bank A and $3 at Bank B. $5 should leave you in the clear.

The reason for not going much more than $5 is to eliminate any possible cause of a scoring ding. Of course, as you say, "Just do what is financially sound and you will be fine." There's usually no need to go for a single tiny balance. It's something you keep in your back pocket for times where you need every possible point.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.