cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card is being replaced due to "security" issues. Is it bad for my credit profile?

tag
rudolphreindeer
Regular Contributor

Credit card is being replaced due to "security" issues. Is it bad for my credit profile?

I have Gesa CU Diamond Cashback card, and having some issues with it. Their security department called me some time ago and said there is some strange transaction of $0 from "Visa service". They told me it might be a fraud or something, and they said they want to close this card and issue me a new card. So I got a new card with a new #, but it's the same account. Nothing changed on my credit report only that the card reported in the middle of the statement cycle. It was balance transfer.

And just recently it happened again! But this time it was worse. I didn't use a card for 2 weeks, then I go to the store, paying and card is declined. I go to another store, try again - declined. I called Gesa CU member service, nobody answered. I called the same #of security agency that called me before and they said again that there was $0 transaction and they want to replace this card for me. All right, what can I do - replace it if it has to be done. So I am waiting to get the third card of the same account now and it reported again in the middle of the statement cycle. But this time I paid everything right after the card was declined in the store and before to call them. I don't know what it is and why they are doing this to me. Now I will be afraid to use it at all, not because I think it's fraud, but I am afraid this can harm my credit report.

Can it harm my credit report? Security agent told me that not. But one card being replaced twice in the short period of time... When they issue a new card #, doing these balance transfers, it must be reporting something .... something that can be interpreted against me? Why I think that: during last 2 months I have been denied 2 cards. Please someone experienced, tell me, can this card's replacement harm my credit and to be a reason of my applications were declined?

FICO® Score 8 (Apr 2021)
EX 764 | EQ 771 | TU 800

TCL: $72,900
INQs in last (6 m./12 m.)
EX (2/2) | EQ (0/2) | TU (0/1)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit card is being replaced due to "security" issues. Is it bad for my credit profil

The only way it would harm you is if they closed the account and opened a new one and reported that happening. Also if they don't backdate it. Normally a bank would just send an update that the card number has changed and there wouldn't be any other change to your reports. Not understanding why there is balance transfers. That sounds like they're opening a new account every single time.

Message 2 of 10
rudolphreindeer
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit card is being replaced due to "security" issues. Is it bad for my credit profil

It does look like a new accounts - I have all 3 cards listed on online banking. But on EX it's the same date opened for the original card. Yes Balance transfers, so strange. Even the last time when I paid to $0, there is a Balance transfer now on a new card with the amount that was on the last "normal" statement, that was paid already.   And the balance on the new card is $0 now.

I guess I shouldn't worry about it. Yesterday my Discover card graduated to unsecured. If it would be something bad on my report, Discover wouldn't graduate my card.

FICO® Score 8 (Apr 2021)
EX 764 | EQ 771 | TU 800

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This sounds like the VISA provisioning service. Have you added the account to any online wallets or P2P services like Cash App, PayPal, or Amazon? I get hit with VISA Provisioning Service every so often by Square. It's just verifying your card is still active as a payment method. 

D9196BFB-1E74-4BB7-BB8D-E91B749681BA.jpeg

Message 4 of 10
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@rudolphreindeer wrote:

Can it harm my credit report? Security agent told me that not. But one card being replaced twice in the short period of time... When they issue a new card #, doing these balance transfers, it must be reporting something .... something that can be interpreted against me? Why I think that: during last 2 months I have been denied 2 cards. Please someone experienced, tell me, can this card's replacement harm my credit and to be a reason of my applications were declined?

Between myself and immediate family, we've probably had at least a couple of dozen cards replaced over the years due to fraudulent transactions or data breaches. They have never been reported as a new account and never adversely affected credit score.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 5 of 10
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I've had cards replaced when cards were compromised. It's the same account, just a new card (& number). As long as a new account isn't being reported on your credit reports (& it doesn't sound like it is), this should have absolutely no affect on your credit.

Your credit age is very young (only 8 months) and it's a very sensitive in the credit work right now. Your denials are not surprising at all, given that people with older  and stronger profiles are also getting denied. The best thing you can do now is not apply for anything for a while. 

Message 6 of 10
rudolphreindeer
Regular Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

I've had cards replaced when cards were compromised. It's the same account, just a new card (& number). As long as a new account isn't being reported on your credit reports (& it doesn't sound like it is), this should have absolutely no affect on your credit.

Your credit age is very young (only 8 months) and it's a very sensitive in the credit work right now. Your denials are not surprising at all, given that people with older  and stronger profiles are also getting denied. The best thing you can do now is not apply for anything for a while. 

Thank you! I do feel better now about it. Yes of course you are right, I should sit in the garden.

FICO® Score 8 (Apr 2021)
EX 764 | EQ 771 | TU 800

Message 7 of 10
rudolphreindeer
Regular Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

Between myself and immediate family, we've probably had at least a couple of dozen cards replaced over the years due to fraudulent transactions or data breaches. They have never been reported as a new account and never adversely affected credit score.

Thank you, @FlaDude I appreciate it.

FICO® Score 8 (Apr 2021)
EX 764 | EQ 771 | TU 800

Message 8 of 10
rudolphreindeer
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This sounds like the VISA provisioning service. Have you added the account to any online wallets or P2P services like Cash App, PayPal, or Amazon? I get hit with VISA Provisioning Service every so often by Square. It's just verifying your card is still active as a payment method. 

D9196BFB-1E74-4BB7-BB8D-E91B749681BA.jpeg

@Anonymous Yes card was added to Amazon, Apple Pay, Walmart Pay, Experian... that must be it, verification. I just don't understand why they think it's fraud. The first time was even funny, Gesa CU has a separate website for more rewards. You go there and choose which store you want to shop in and it gives you more rewards, like 3 or 5% cashback. I've thinking to buy something at HomeDepot, so I clicked "Activate your card" at HomeDepot button. Ha-ha next day it was this "fraud" $0 transaction. But when I was talking to security agents, they didn't want to believe it was simple verification from some merchant or even may be from Google pay. They were insisting that card should be replaced, asking me again and again Did you make any purchases today? - I say: No. They say: Ok we must replace this card.

Well anyway I just wanted to share the fear I had about it. My most concern was about the reports in the middle of the billing cycle and these balance transfers but I don't even want to think about it any more!

FICO® Score 8 (Apr 2021)
EX 764 | EQ 771 | TU 800

Message 9 of 10
Swatch
Frequent Contributor

What reports did Gesa pull for your credit card and membership? Thank you!

Oh, I'm not in their footprint anyway, so I don't need the information.

I do AZEO.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.