Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit union recommendations

tag
kalli007
Established Member

Re: Credit union recommendations

@Snook_on_the_Line  Yeah you def need to see what's going on with your CHEX report. However, I don't think PenFed pulls CHEX, so call them if you haven't already. I had terrible credit and a bad CHEX report when I joined. 

Starting Score: 543
Current Score: 590
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 17
Snook_on_the_Line
Frequent Contributor

@kalli007 wrote:

@Snook_on_the_Line  Yeah you def need to see what's going on with your CHEX report. However, I don't think PenFed pulls CHEX, so call them if you haven't already. I had terrible credit and a bad CHEX report when I joined. 

Will call Penfed on Monday morning 

I'll keep everyone posted with the outcome.   

Message 12 of 17
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

First, muck fichigan! Got that out of the way.

As a member, I sure hate to hear bad news about penfed . I joined last year after I gave up on nfcu. I applied on line, instant approval, opened three savings accounts. According to 

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/banks-credit-unions-dodont-pull-early-warning-services/

Penfed doesn't pull chex or early warning. I pulled my Chex first of this year, I can verify they didn't pull chex. I did innovis, didn't show there either. Maybe they flip a coin. That's all I know about applying.

As far as the ssl , I did it and gained 30-40 points, it worked like a hose!  Penfed only requires $25 X term in months. That's $1500 for a 60 month loan. 2% to borrow your own money. You have to put the money in their standard savings and leave it for 30 days. Then you call them to make the loan. 

I haven't applied for a credit card there, I suppose I will.

Message 13 of 17
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

As far as uploading docs, that didn't work on the loan papers they mailed for me to sign. I had to mail them back, they did provide a self addresses stamped envelope.😊😊

Message 14 of 17
TrapLine
Regular Contributor

You know FicoMike0 this online sign up with all the verification thing gets down right maddening. Why allow online if it is denied or switched to snail mail. Not to go off topic but, it took me twelve years to finally find out US Bank would only allow me to apply for new products personally. No one from US Bank ever told me they had never verified me and so they kept rejecting me. How was I to know?

Recently went to a new to me credit union that got everything they need to verify my applications and they actually called a car dealership that I had been in and asked them about me (did I really come in and exist). First time in my life!

Got ticked off and challenged them on it. Their response was that since they started taking new members in by online, they were running afoul of scammers and had to double down on all applications. I live in their geo area and am not new to credit or banking. Did not matter.

Truth, they were very thorough. Told the underwriter I would drive to their main office in person and it would not be freindly. That would have been many miles but it became very frustrating. Finally, after the confirm of my existence with the car dealer I was approved ... unreal!

Message 15 of 17
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Snook_on_the_Line wrote:

So apparently Penfed doesn't want my business.    
I tried to set up an online checking account with them and they never got back to me.    

uploaded my id and ss and got an email that they would send a funding link in three to five business days 

it's been over ten 

sent a follow up email on Monday morning 

no reply.  🤔

Started a new application Wednesday morning.   Uploaded Docs and got the same three to five day email. 

if they don't get back to me this time I'm going to need to find a different cu that offers decent credit cards and savings rates.  

I kinda had my heart set on Penfed because I was considering setting up an SSL with them.  

anyone have any recommendations 

I don't have a qualifing military affiliation for NFCU

and I'm located in south Florida. 

You're probably best off finding a credit union for which you qualify through employment or geography, but among the open-to-all credit unions, I would recommend:

-Langley FCU

-Affinity FCU

-Chartway FCU

-Dept of Interior FCU

-Dept of Commerce FCU

-Unify FCU

-Boeing Employees FCU

-Digital FCU

-Liberty FCU

-Members 1st FCU (Enola PA)

-Alliant CU

But of course it depends on the particular services and products you're looking for; each credit union -- even the beloved NFCU and PenFed -- has its pros and cons.

Total revolving limits 589000 (521k reporting) FICO 8: EQ 706 TU 714 EX 721

Message 16 of 17
FicoMike0
Valued Contributor

Now I'm mad at Penfed too. They opened me a checking (which I didn't really want), told me my eq fico 9 is 850, then turned me down for a credit card. I think I'll try navy, everyone seems to like them.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.