Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit utilization

tag
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Credit utilization

Hello,

I have a furniture account that has a zero balance and is open, but I haven't used it for about two years. It is not being included in my credit  utilization.  If i used it for something small would that help my credit score or hurt it?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit utilization

@ashdown1967 wrote:

Hello,

I have a furniture account that has a zero balance and is open, but I haven't used it for about two years. It is not being included in my credit  utilization.  If i used it for something small would that help my credit score or hurt it?

At some point idle accounts are removed from utilization ~ if it lowers your revolving utilization then it might help your FICO score.   What is the credit limit ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 10
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Hello, 

It is only 1,400 dollar, but it is not being included in the credit utilization.

Thanks                                                                     

Message 3 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

What is your current utilization and what would it look like with the 1,400 CL added ?
Message 4 of 10
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Hello,

Right now my utilization is 70 percent.

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Ok what is the total of all your revolving credit limits ? Need to know this to determine how significant adding the $1,400 will be.....
Message 6 of 10
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Hello,

It is 4700

Message 7 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

If my math is correct your utilization would be around ~55% if you charged a very small item on this account and the $1,400 is added into your revolving utliization total credit limit.    So you might see a small FICO gain, YMMV.    

Can you pay down your balances ?  Or possibly request CLIs on the other accounts ?

Message 8 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@ashdown1967 wrote:

Hello,

It is 4700

So that means right now your total balances are around $3,300? (Total balances of $3,300/ Total credit limits of $4,700 = 70% utilization).

If you add that $1,400 to your CL's that would make your overall utilization 54% ($3,300/$6,100).

ETA: Outtyped (once again) by pizzadude.

Message 9 of 10
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Thank you guys so much.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.