Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark Web Alert

tag
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

Dark Web Alert

I just got a dark web alert with Discover and all they can tell me is to put an alert on the CRA and hope for the best. I put an alert on. Can I still be put on the opt in for prescrean offers?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jgdev
Regular Contributor

Re: Dark Web Alert

I've had an alert on my report for the past few years. You can still opt in for prescreens. But with an alert you basically will never get an instant approval for anything so be prepared to see the "We need to further review your application and you will hear back from us in 7-10 days" message. That said it isn't a huge inconvenience and I usually just call up the application status line after submitting something and let them know i have a fraud alert on my report. Make sure your alert has a phone number attached to it for easy usage. The card companies have to call you on the number provided on the report to confirm it is you.

06/01/2022

12/07/17
Message 2 of 14
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Do we need to freeze and place a fraud alert or is a freeze enough protection
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same thing this morning. I’m just going to place the alert on my CR and call it a day.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really understand Dark Web alerts.  Can someone shed some light?  I've been getting alerts for a couple of months now that my email was found on the Dark Web.  I haven't done anything about it, nor do I know if this is important or not.

Message 5 of 14
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

I got the email alerts for years and never worried other than to change my password. This alert though was full SSNumber and that is concerning
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone should assume their info is out there after EQ data breach and have their CRAs locked or frozen by now.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousEveryone should assume their info is out there after EQ data breach and have their CRAs locked or frozen by now.

Yeah?  I've never locked or frozen a report.  Perhaps it's something I should consider.

Message 8 of 14
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Relatively painless. FTC identity theft site has links to all 3 and they are now as of 9/21 free. You will get a pin so be sure and print that page for your records.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@AnonymousEveryone should assume their info is out there after EQ data breach and have their CRAs locked or frozen by now.

Yeah?  I've never locked or frozen a report.  Perhaps it's something I should consider.

You should, it's too easy not to, I have posted many times on how to lock all 3 for almost free (Experian requires subscription), you can also freeze all 3 for free since last week, I still prefer credit lock for ease of process, already have Experian IdentityWorks Plus ($9.95/month) for credit and Identity monitoring anyway.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.