Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delinquencies Falling Off Earlier than Expected

tag
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Delinquencies Falling Off Earlier than Expected

I pulled reports from CCT last week, and I was surprised that some of my delinquencies have aged off earlier than I expected. I have delinquencies on 4 accounts from late 2012 to mid 2013 that are starting to age off. I may move next spring, so the timing of these accounts falling off could be important (the move is unconfirmed, so for now I'm just watching).

Account 1

EX

10/2012 - 30 days -- Removed 9/2019 (not 10/2019)

11/2012 - 30 days -- Removed 9/2019 (not 11/2019)

TU

11/2012 - 30 days -- Removed 9/2019 (not 11/2019)

12/2012 - 30 days

EQ - No delinquency reported

From what I read here, I expected each 30 day delinquency to be treated as individual strings and to age off at the 7 yr anniversary. Instead, EX treated the successive 30 day delinquencies as 1 string (TU didn't), and EX removed 1 month before the 30 day delinquncy (which makes sense, because the DOFD is when the account is 1 day delinquent, not 30 days delinquent). Strangely, TU removed it 2 months early, which even if you agree with the 1 day delinquent theory is still 1 month early.

Projecting forward based on these removals, my EX may be clear in Feb (TU in March) rather than May, which in the scheme of things is small, but is exciting to me and will be helpful if I relocate.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Delinquencies Falling Off Earlier than Expected

Congrats!

Message 2 of 14
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Yeah, it is good news, if confusing. If you go by the DOFD being 1 day delinquent and not 30 days, then a delinquency showing on EX under Account 2 (12/2012 - 90 days delinquent) should also have aged off, but it didn't. I don't understand why EX would treat the accounts differently. Perhaps because one is a mortgage and the other is a school loan?

Message 3 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

They should go by DOFD but keep in mind, it's first Saturday of the month 

EX purges other info (such as two year old HP) on the first Saturday of the following months, so maybe it got accidentally swept 

I think they are just doing some house cleaning. There is nothing preventing them from removing it early. They just cant let it sit longer than 7.5 years, so CRA do it around 7 year mark in order to avoid going over the legal max wich is 7.5 years. 

Message 4 of 14
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

@Vandersnoot,

That is awesome. Let us know how this impacts your scores.

Coincidentally, I Was on the phone with EX yesterday and asked about a removal from 2013 and she said those gets removed when the entire tradeline gets deleted in 7 years. While I know that’s not how it works; the inconsistency in Agent education across the bureaus is just mind blowing!

Message 5 of 14
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

My reports don't provide DOFD (which lead to several posts here from me about how to calculate DOFD). Somewhere around here RobertEG explained why reports don't always provide DOFD, and while I've forgotten the reason, I trust that he's right. I will keep monitoring for changes.

I thought people here would like to know that in the absence of a DOFD, delinquencies may be removed in advance of the month in which the loan became 30 days delinquent.

@Remy - thanks for sharing that tidbit on EX. I'll pull my reports a little later to ensure I capture those changes.

@Aspire - that's funny. Hopefully someone sets that CSR straight.

Message 6 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Most reports do not show DOFD, but those must be provided/reported to CRA within a certain period of time. 

A lot of times, a free annual credit report will have them listed. So, if you haven't grabbed a copy in the past year, this would be  a good time.

If you have old copies of free annual credit report, see if it's on there 

Message 7 of 14
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

Done, done, and done. The only thing I haven't done is called the bureaus and asked. No good reason, other than a generalized dislike of talking to customer service reps.

Message 8 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

It's not like they are even aware of their own polices  lol 

They should be looking here before answering questions lol 

Message 9 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I lol'ed twice. That's out of character 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.