cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delinquent Chase CHK + New Amazon/Chase Credit Card = Do they report delinquent checking to credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delinquent Chase CHK + New Amazon/Chase Credit Card = Do they report delinquent checking to credit?

Hi there, a little background, I had a Chase Free College Checking account back from 2012 - 2019. In 2019, I fell on a tough time, and I had to let it go. It was only overdrawn a little bit, but I let it stay that way, and Chase eventually closed my checking WITH the -$200 something still on account. I haven't heard from Chase about this account for many years, even with my same phone number for the last 10 years. I also never saw anything pop up on my CR in collections about this delinquent account. 

Fast forward to 2021, and I applied for an JPMCB Amazon Prime Rewards Signature Visa. I was auto-approved & quite happy with a new line of credit, decent limit, and opportunity to make new history with Chase. NOT 24 HOURS LATER, I get a call from JP CHASE & it's a rep asking for me to settle my checking account with them! (MAGIC) I'm perfectly fine doing this, as I believe in karma & paying your dues, and I wouldn't want anything to hurt my newly established good credit & the card I just got approved for. So I agree to the settlement and ask her to mail me a letter and told her that I'd take care of it in 30 days or less. 

My question is, will trying to do the right thing and pay this old delinquent account show up on my credit if it was never there in the first place? I'd hate to be trying to do something good & get slapped with negative remarks on my credit for it. I know this is specific, but if anyone has had a similar situation, any information would be so appreciated! Smiley Happy 

3 REPLIES 3
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Delinquent Chase CHK + New Amazon/Chase Credit Card = Do they report delinquent checking to cred

No, it will not show up.

Typically this is not reported to the major CRAs but it does happen (rarely).

It is reported to EWS, which may make opening a new account (DDA) with participating lenders close to impossible. 

For that reason, I suggest you consider paying it and also because you have a brand new card from them 

While it's two different departments, you do not want to run into additional review and closure due to "unsatisfactory previously relationship" 

Message 2 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Delinquent Chase CHK + New Amazon/Chase Credit Card = Do they report delinquent checking to cred

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there, a little background, I had a Chase Free College Checking account back from 2012 - 2019. In 2019, I fell on a tough time, and I had to let it go. It was only overdrawn a little bit, but I let it stay that way, and Chase eventually closed my checking WITH the -$200 something still on account. I haven't heard from Chase about this account for many years, even with my same phone number for the last 10 years. I also never saw anything pop up on my CR in collections about this delinquent account. 

Fast forward to 2021, and I applied for an JPMCB Amazon Prime Rewards Signature Visa. I was auto-approved & quite happy with a new line of credit, decent limit, and opportunity to make new history with Chase. NOT 24 HOURS LATER, I get a call from JP CHASE & it's a rep asking for me to settle my checking account with them! (MAGIC) I'm perfectly fine doing this, as I believe in karma & paying your dues, and I wouldn't want anything to hurt my newly established good credit & the card I just got approved for. So I agree to the settlement and ask her to mail me a letter and told her that I'd take care of it in 30 days or less. 

My question is, will trying to do the right thing and pay this old delinquent account show up on my credit if it was never there in the first place? I'd hate to be trying to do something good & get slapped with negative remarks on my credit for it. I know this is specific, but if anyone has had a similar situation, any information would be so appreciated! Smiley Happy 

As @Remedios pointed out, delinquent deposit accounts do get reported to the agencies that report that kind of information: Chex Systems and Early Warning Services. So you'll be helping to improve your EWS and/or Chex ratings.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've never seen or heard of a checking account going bad getting on your CR.  It will be on EWS or ChexSystems that is where they place it at and I believe it stays on there for 5 yrs.   

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.